Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 95 won't shut down

I just installed LinkSys's wireless network network pc card and pci card on my wife's Pentium 133 with 16 meg running Windows 95--I know, but she's happy with it. Since then it doesn't always shut down. Half the time it reboots and then, as Windows starts to load, it tells me Windows wasn't shut down the right way and goes into the scan routine. Then it goes into Windows. If I shut down then, it does shut down. However, the next time, it's the whole thing all over.
    I've made sure I check "shut down" after clicking on "shut down" in the START menu rather than "reboot." Since Microsoft doesn't support 95 anymore, I can't call on them for help.

Thanks

Bruce

Thanks

Re: Windows 95 won't shut down

There is still access to the KB articles <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo&>here</A> - a search under Windows 95 and shutdown throws up 90 articles!

Were you running on a network before - i.e. is the only change the hardware aspect?
    What network protocol(s)?
    Does the NIC have a wake-up function that may be preventing shutdown?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows 95 won't shut down

I haen't been able to find any mention of a wake up on LAN function--I'm really desparate when I actually read the manual. The NIC is actually a PC card inserted into a PCI adapter--sort of like a laptop running inside a desktop. That's the only new hardware I've added. The protocol is TCP/IP. I'm afraid none of the 90 results from the Knowledge Base search helped. Perhaps it's time to upgrade ot a Windows 2000 machine with a bit more speed and a lot more memory.

Bruce