Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"not responding due to long running script"

Not sure this how this would be classified, but I have been getting this sort of message for quite some time now, and somewhat randomly....

"XXXX is not responding due to a long running script"

It just happened to me when I went to access Google....google not responding due to long running script

It has happened to me on some other websites as well, but very often on Google. Is there some sort of incompatibility between the IE browser and Google?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    See if there's anything in this article that will help. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260

Getting IE to run properly can help other browsers.

Thanks
    Sometimes, an addon, Microsoft or nonMicrosoft, can run and run and run a script til you get the error message. Happens to me from time to time in FF, GChrome. I have to find the UberScript-Runner and "dial it back" some.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    happens with chrome a lot

some folks blame it on having too many windows open
    so they dont have enough memory to run faster

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    See if there's anything in this article that will help. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260

Getting IE to run properly can help other browsers.
    Interesting, I just got a chance to review that link,....some of it understood,....some of it lost in the computer language I don't fully understand....ha...ha

Brian

PS: As concerns a message, 'website not responding' (not with script error included), someone has said they felt it was due to one's internet supplier's erratic connection (and speed) ??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    Interesting, I just got a chance to review that link,....some of it understood,....some of it lost in the computer language I don't fully understand....ha...ha

Brian

PS: As concerns a message, 'website not responding' (not with script error included), someone has said they felt it was due to one's internet supplier's erratic connection (and speed) ??
    I don't think the latter applies as I occasionally get the long running script error message and my ADSL is stable.

When I get the error message in IE I just close and reopen the site - I've never bothered trouble shooting it.

Which bits didn't you understand ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    When I get the error message in IE I just close and reopen the site - I've never bothered trouble shooting it.
    I agree, it's a rather nefarious error that might be nothing more than poor syntax. I guess if it happened continuously or on many sites then it might be a problem on your end and worth investigating.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

how about just 'not responding'

I got fed up with IE and switched over to Firefox. That seemed to be working fine for some time now, but in the last several weeks I'm getting this 'website not responding' message very often.

And VERY often now it is when I first go to get on the internet when I first turn the computer on and double-click the Firefox icon that I have set up to take me to the Google home page. It either takes forever, or just doesn't work and gives me some 'not responding' message.

It may just freeze up there, or give me some small window that I can 'debug' this script error. If I select debug it doesn't lead me to anywhere that I understand?? ...and it doesn't fix my problem.

I'm just wondering if there is something wrong with the version of Firefox that I have on this laptop,...and that perhaps I should wipe it off and download it again,...anew?

PS: I have an older desktop computer running XP that appears to have no problems with this 'not responding' stuff,....and its using the Firefox browser with the same Google home page.
    Last edited by beiland; 2015-04-16 at 21:00.

Thanks
    Ensure that you don't have the broken release of Firefox 37.0 - (Alt) Help > About Firefox.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do have Firefox 37.0.1
    Is that the faulty one?

Thanks
    No, that's the latest, fixed version. have you tried to reset Firefox ((Alt) Help > Troubleshooting information > Reset button) or loading it in Safe Mode (Exit FF completely then hold down the Shift key while restarting it)?

jwoods
    The OP mentioned IE in the first post.

For IE, try the following...

1. Go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced.

2. Check the boxes for "Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)" and "Disable script debugging (Other)".

3. Uncheck the box for "Display a notification about every script error".

4. Click Apply, close and then reopen IE.

For Firefox, disable add-ons one at a time to see if it reveals the cause.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-16 at 22:30.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I opened my computer today, a window came up suggesting I reset Firefox. I clicked on it, and it seemed to just keep running with the saying 'almost done'. After 10 minutes I figured something had gone wrong,...shouldn't take that long.

It did reset my homepage, so I went back and redid that. Again received message about 'reset', and when i clicked on it this time, it went very quickly.

So now I am hoping that the problem is fixed. I'll learn a little more later today when I get rid of this darn flu that has me down-and-out for 3-4 days.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    The OP mentioned IE in the first post.

For IE, try the following...

1. Go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced.

2. Check the boxes for "Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)" and "Disable script debugging (Other)".

3. Uncheck the box for "Display a notification about every script error".

4. Click Apply, close and then reopen IE.
    I've tried that in the past before I shifted over to FF, and if I remember correctly it only worked for a short while. I think there were other problems with IE that just forced me to give it up. Plus I believe I read something about Microsoft even giving up on their old and tired IE ??

For Firefox, disable add-ons one at a time to see if it reveals the cause.
    I this reset operation does not do the trick, then I may have to resort to your suggestions. I'm just not enough of a computer nerd to understand what to disable, etc.

Thanks for all suggestions

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    I'm just not enough of a computer nerd to understand what to disable, etc.

Thanks for all suggestions
    If you did a reset of Firefox, all of your Add-ons were removed.

However, if you re-install them and start to have issues, you can troubleshoot using the following steps...

In Firefox, click on Tools, select Add-ons, and click on Extensions.

Each extension will have a Disable button.

Disable one, and try going to a site you were having issues with.

If you are still having the issue, disable the next one, and go to the site again.

Repeat that process, one extension at a time, until you have checked all your extensions

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast