Star Lounger
    Thanks

Control Panel problem

I recently deleted Stay Connected. For some reason, it wasn't listed in the Control Panel's Add/Delete Software list so I used its own uninstall program. So far no problem. However, the next time I went to Control Panel and tried to use the Add/Delete Software file, it told me there were no programs listed and none showed up. Everything seems to be running well but what's the problem?

I'm running Windows 2000, SR-1, 600 mgHz, 384 meg of RAM. Any ideas about what's wrong and how to correct it.

Thanks

Bruce

Thanks

Re: Control Panel problem

Installing IE5.5 was known to cause this problem - the fix was to re-install it. Although you are showing as running IE6, it may be worth trying the same thing.

Otherwise:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q266668&GSSNB=1>Add/Remove Programs Tool Displays Installed Programs Incorrectly (Q266668)</A>
    may help.

Note the warning on that page:
    IMPORTANT : This article contains information about editing the registry. Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs. For information about how to do this, view the "Restoring the Registry" Help topic in Regedit.exe or the "Restoring a Registry Key" Help topic in Regedt32.exe.

If you are at all unhappy about editing the registry, just shout.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I looked up the Knowledge Base reference. Yes, I am VERY uneasy mucking with the register. So much so that I decided it might be easier just to re-install Windows 2000. Unfortunately, there's an aborted setup stuck on my disk that I've never been able to get rid of and any attempts to re-install hangs up there. I mentioned this problem when I first installed Windows 2000 and nobody has ever come up with a solution, so when Windows is about to boot up and it asks me which version to use, I simply click on the first occurrence of Windows 2000 and everything goes tickety poo.

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bruce,
    To get rid of startup menu, double-click "System" on Control Panel, click "Advanced" tab, then "Startup and Recovery" button. Uncheck "Display list of operating systems..." checkbox. Make sure that the entry in "Default Operating System" box is correct.