2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Getting Strange Open error when using Word 2003 as Outlook 2003's editor

About 5 months ago I switched the email message editor in Outlook 2003 from its default to MS Word 2003. I did this because there is a known bug in Outlook 2003 in relation to IE 11. The bug is that some of the text gets dropped when you send it.
    I posted this problem here on Windows Secrets lounge and got an answer highlighting the known bug and 5 work arounds for it. Only 1 of the work arounds worked for me, i.e. to switch the email message editor to Word.

Word as Outlook's editor is a little quirky but it works and now 5 months later I am mostly used to it.

But now I am getting an error when I open a sent message. the text of the error is

"Office file validation detected a problem while trying to open this file. Opening it may be dangerous."

A screenshot is also attached (Msg Open Err_002)

When I click on either Open or Cancel, the message disappears and the email message opens in Word.

So far, this appears to only occur when I open Sent messages. And once the error has occurred it doesn't occur again for a while, i.e. I can open the same sent message or other sent messages and not get the error.

Also, today when I was testing the error, I tried opening a Sent outlook message. It went into a wait state and I could do nothing. I couldn't select another message, I couldn't close Outlook. So I had to force a shut down of Outlook with the Task Manager. Then when I reopened Outlook it started fine. Oddly, I didn't get the usual message about how Outlook wasn't closed properly the last time and did I want to check for problems.

Then I tried opening another Word document, not in Outlook. I got a different error (see attached Msg Open Err_002a). But after closing this error, I was able to open the same Word document as well as other word documents. I was also able to open the Sent message in outlook without error.

Anyone have any clues what is going on here and what action I should take?

Specs
    Windows 7-Pro, 64-bit, version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
    IE 11 - 11.0.9600.7501, Update version 11.0.15 (KB3008923)
    MS Word 2003 - 11.8411.8405 - SP3
    MS Outlook 2003 - 11.8330.8405 - SP3
    Attached Images Attached Images