Star Lounger
    Thanks

Advice on creating a bootable recovery disc for 175GB on a 450GB drive

I have just read Fred Langa's latest column on Start the new year with a clean Windows PC and have resolved to do my first backup using the Windows 7 backup utility. It is advisable (via the article "Build a complete Windows 7 safety net" -May 12 2011) to create a bootable recovery disc for my system. My question is, how many clean discs will I need (I have 8 - 8GB double sided DVDs) to create this bootable disc if I have 175GB used of a 450GB drive?

I have a Toshiba Satellite A505 i7 quadcore w/4GB RAM
    I have created several backups with TrueImage 11 however I now wish to use Windows Backup as well.
    All Windows updates are current
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A bootable recovery disk is a single disk that allows you to boot your PC.
    The backup should be stored on an external USB hard disk - 1TB disks are cheap relative to trying to recover your data after a system failure.
    Once you have an image of your system on the external disk you can boot from the bootable CD and restore your system as it was when you backed it up.

As you already have Acronis keep using that, it's at least as good as Windows backup and having two on the go is a recipe for losing your way.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

BarbieGee (2015-01-01)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbieGee View Post
    I have just read Fred Langa's latest column on Start the new year with a clean Windows PC and have resolved to do my first backup using the Windows 7 backup utility. It is advisable (via the article "Build a complete Windows 7 safety net" -May 12 2011) to create a bootable recovery disc for my system. My question is, how many clean discs will I need (I have 8 - 8GB double sided DVDs) to create this bootable disc if I have 175GB used of a 450GB drive?

I have a Toshiba Satellite A505 i7 quadcore w/4GB RAM
    I have created several backups with TrueImage 11 however I now wish to use Windows Backup as well.
    All Windows updates are current
    If anything, Windows Backup is much less reliable than Acronis True Image. I second Paul's recommendation and suggest you stick with True Image. You also need a (sort of) recovery disc for Acronis, though it's usually just named a boot disc. This disc will be needed to boot your computer when the internal disk fails and it will allow you access to the external disc where your images will be saved. In that sense, it behaves pretty similar to the Windows recovery disc. The latter, if you were using Windows native imaging, would also just allow you access to the external disc stored images, so that you could choose one to recover.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

BarbieGee (2015-01-01)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's really called a Repair Disk, but Toshiba has a facility located in its folder in All Programs to create a one-off set of bootable OEM Recovery disks which will factory reset your computer and then you can restore with your image which you have to do via the Recovery Environment.

I use Windows system image onto an external HDD and I haven't had any problems with it - I also include the D: Recovery partition with each image I create, so that I have a full back up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

BarbieGee (2015-01-01)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all.
    I checked my discs and I do have the Toshiba Recovery discs, also discs I made in 2010. I have an external 320GB drive (purchased long before there were terabyte drives) with several TrueImage backups. I think I will invest in a new external drive for the new backup and, as advised, stick to my Acronis.

Thanks again.
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

Thanks
    Perhaps make an extra CD of the Acronis bootable, in case, your present working copy gets a nick or scratch on it.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

BarbieGee (2015-01-01)

Administrator
    Thanks
    I would also suggest that you test your Acronis boot disc, to make sure you can boot your computer with it. Verifying each image, after Acronis creates it is also recommended.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

BarbieGee (2015-01-01)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I would also suggest that you test your Acronis boot disc, to make sure you can boot your computer with it. Verifying each image, after Acronis creates it is also recommended.
    Yes, this is also a very good idea. Now I just have to remember how I did that!

Thanks
    I just remembered OP asking how many CD\DVDs for the complete rescue/restore disk set -- mine was 6 CDs way back then, for Windows 7 - six DVDs if memory serves me.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would recommend partitioning the drive with the OS on on one and data on another. I would also recommend buying an external drive and using Acrois True Image. You definitely want to make sure that the rescue disk does boot. I boot from it when I make my monthly images. and keep a few images. My last restore from an internal HD took 8 min.
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am always a bit apprehensive trying out a rescue disc, fear of forcing a recovery, does that make sense?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbieGee View Post
    I am always a bit apprehensive trying out a rescue disc, fear of forcing a recovery, does that make sense?
    Don't worry, that will never be a problem. It won't do anything without you choosing it explicitly. If getting out of the recovery environment is not clear and easy, you can simply shutdown the computer by turning power off, but that won't be needed.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's always worth checking your recovery strategy works, before you find out it doesn't.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Drives are inexpensive. Buy a test Drive & restore to it just to see it works. Then put your original drive back online. Safe way to practice. Also impresses your friends. I have started making copies of friends new laptops when finished configuring and I show them how to start teamviewer for remote assistance. You can use your remote of choice.