New Lounger
    Thanks

External drives and USB enclosures

ORICO 2595US3 containing a magnetic HDD goes to sleep/spins down after 5 minutes. But connected to a Netgear R7000 router as NAS works OK, wakes up after a few seconds with access and plays well. Probably not bad for a mechanical drive as it's not spinning 24/7?

ORICO 2588US3 containing a SSD goes to sleep/spins down (kind of meaningless with SSD!) after 5 minutes... and confuses the hell out of Windows 8.1 on an Asus UX303LA. Windows just looses the thing I guess? And can mess up everything connected USB; wireless mouse, USB to Ethernet adapter, ect. A workaround is to write to the drive every 5 minutes (reading won't cut it), which bugs me with a SSD but seems necessary to keep the thing awake.

Kingston SNA-DC/U containing a SSD "doesn't" do anything wrong! Except... it's a USB 2.0 device and only gets about 18Mb/s read rate. And, I'm getting there now... Windows 8.1 sees it, more specifically the SSD in it as a Hard Drive. Which then offers Defragging instead of Trimming. Not good.

Tek-Republic TUE-300 containing a SSD seems to offer the best so far. It "indicates" power off after about 5 minutes, but "wakes up" instantly when necessary and so far offers Windows no challenges like the ORICO above. But... like the Kingston the SSD in it is seen as a HDD. Have 2 and the same for both.

So finally here is the question. How do I get Windows to recognize the units as SSD's? I don't especially want to acquire separate util(ies) to manage the external drive(s) when what's necessary is already built into Windows 8.1. But can't allow Windows to schedule any maintenance as it'll do the wrong thing(s) and defrag the SSD's. Obviously Windows is basing it's determination on information it gets from the Enclosure, as the same drive will be seen as SSD in one and HDD in another.

Ideas?: DES

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You say that these devices are in an enclosure of some kind. When drives are connected internally, the "Drive Information" tells the BIOS and OS what kind of drive, size, geometry, etc. Putting a drive in an enclosure blocks this information from the BIOS so the necessary information is not passed to the OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I didn't say they were in "an enclosure of some kind". I specified 4 different exact type and their relative properties. Thinking this may possible be an aid to others? Speccy and Defraggler read the detailed drive data right through the USB enclosures no problem, but depending on which enclosure Windows can't seem to get it right.

I may have solved my immediate problem by remembering Defraggler can "Quick Optimize", which I assume sends the Trim command like the Windows tool? I'm not sure about it's Optimize, which fills All free space with zeros, which is certainly a Write to all said space whether it needs it or not.

I was thinking Windows must designate what kind of drive is mounted somewhere/somehow and perhaps someone knew where? So perhaps it could be re-designated correctly? Otherwise yet another built-in Windows utility/feature becomes useless. You don't want Windows Defragging your SSD's on Schedual!

DES