Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to create system recovery disc?

I have a secondary desktop running Vista Enterprise x64 bit.
    Recently it installed sp2 and ie9. All good.
    Now I would like to create a recovery disk with all the current patches and updates as currently installed.
    From previous threads I think I can use Macrium Reflect to do this?
    Any tricks or precautions?

Also I believe there is a utility to retrieve the product key if you have lost it?
    Can anyone advise what this is?

Thanks,
    rstew

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One way to acquire to 25 character product key is to go to www.belarc.com, download it, scroll down to the software license section
    Using Macrium Reflect is very good in my experience. But ensure to implement a backup regimen; in my case its a monthly event.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Use an external hard disk and backup to that.
    Create a Macrium boot disk.
    When your machine goes pear shaped, connect the hard disk, boot from the boot disk and restore.

cheers, Paul

p.s. It's worth testing the boot disk and external disk before you need to use them.

Thanks
    So what do you do if you test and it fails halfway through...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    By test I meant boot from the Macrium disk and see if you can select files from the external hard disk to restore. If you can you have tested all that needs to be tested.

If you are recovering from failure and the restore fails halfway through it is likely to be a hardware issue rather than a problem with your backup.

cheers, Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2015-01-02)

Thanks
    Not always hardware alone; I've had a restore fail because of an earlier read/write error [during backup], which rendered the restore file "bad." And, if the media itself is marginal, then read/write error could creep in.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the good advice.
    So I created a recovery DVD with Macrium. Went well.

Now i guess I need to test it out and see if it works!

rstew

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 32-bit ACER laptop/tablet with Win7 HP and cleaned it from infections and implemented maintenance procedures so it ended up running just fine within a day
    Then I created an Image using Win7's built program onto my external hard drive. After that I wanted to test it right away. The title of the image on my external hard drive was WindowsImageBackup. But I didn't know about having created Automatic Restore Point: System point. But I guess that's also created and it works together with the WindowsImageBackup on my external hard drive. I didn't know that but because I wanted to test my image backup I figured it out. The image recovery came out fine but is that the right way to do that or is there a "better or preferable way"?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 32-bit ACER laptop/tablet with Win7 HP and cleaned it from infections and implemented maintenance procedures so it ended up running just fine within a day
    Then I created an Image using Win7's built program onto my external hard drive. After that I wanted to test it right away. The title of the image on my external hard drive was WindowsImageBackup. But I didn't know about having created Automatic Restore Point: System point. But I guess that's also created and it works together with the WindowsImageBackup on my external hard drive. I didn't know that but because I wanted to test my image backup I figured it out. The image recovery came out fine but is that the right way to do that or is there a "better or preferable way"?
    When Win7's "Backup and Restore" creates a system image it includes all data (except pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys I think) on your Windows partition, including any restore points. System Restore is fairly irrelevant if you restore an image anyhow.

If you need to restore an image created with Win7's "Backup and Restore" you will need to boot from a system repair disc (see Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore - click "Create a system repair disc").
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-01-03)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rstew View Post
    Thanks all for the good advice.
    So I created a recovery DVD with Macrium. Went well.

Now i guess I need to test it out and see if it works!

rstew
    Well I tried booting from the recovery disc and it seems to work fine.
    After loading it opened up a screen with lots of file restore and file source options.
    Hope I never have to actually use it, but it's nice to know it should work.

Is it possible to use Macrium to create a fully functional installation DVD, with sp2 and all update patches already in?
    This would be way easier to do a fresh install compared to using the original windows disc, then having to do all the updates and service packs.

Thanks,
    rstew

Thanks
    rstew: Yes, simply freshen up your current Windows with SP2 & all appropriate updates -- then make an image onto a bootable DVD. Perhaps titled: 201501[date]Win[7 is it?]SP2.
    Or, did I misunderstand the question
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-01-03 at 15:26.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Coochin, I had created a System Repair Disc but I thought I would have had to use when a repair issue would be called for

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rstew View Post
    Is it possible to use Macrium to create a fully functional installation DVD, with sp2 and all update patches already in?
    Macrium won't do this.
    There seems to be a source of genuine Windows DVDs on My Digital Life.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you have Vista Enterprise x64 bit,
    check out: Vista ISO - Download and Create Installation DVD or USB
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/30...n-dvd-usb.html
    Also do you know or have you acquired your 25 character product key?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    rstew: Yes, simply freshen up your current Windows with SP2 & all appropriate updates -- then make an image onto a bootable DVD. Perhaps titled: 201501[date]Win[7 is it?]SP2.
    Or, did I misunderstand the question
    Roland;
    I was hoping to kind of re-create a full Windows re-installation DVD that could be used if you had to do a clean install like on a new HDD or similar.
    But I realize that windows takes way more space on a HDD tan the 4.7 GB size of a DVD, so it would have to be zipped or something.
    Paul indicates that Macrium will not do what I want, but I went to the Digital River site and downloaded the re-install file. So if I ever need to do this, hopefully it will work.
    One thing I really like is the option to load it onto a usb stick and install from that.

Thanks Paul,
    rstew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast