2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

add durations - CD tracks (Excel 2000)

I'm totally lost trying to enter the track times from my MD recorder in mm:ss format and getting a total duration. I can't just take the total from the MD player and avoid all this because want to combine two MDs onto a single CD and have to figure out what has to be deleted to fit onto one CD.

Last time I tried this I'm sure I did something complicated to enter the times and then used some base 60 function, but I can't find it and I vaguely remember reading that there was a very direct way to do it in Excel. Right now I'm totally lost. I entered two times as mm:ss and did an autosum and that was right so I thought it was easy, but when I entered the rest and added them all I ended up with 7:45, which is no doubt the time of day three days later, not the total duration of all the durations.

I need help right from the beginning:
    How do I enter the times - with the colon or not?
    Do I format the cells first? After? What do I format them as? I tried using Custom mm:ss or [h]mm:ss, but they turn 6:58 into 58:00 and show the time as 6:58:00 AM.

How do I get the total as a duration? Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: add durations - CD tracks (Excel 2000)

First, when you enter the time, you will need to enter it as 0:6:45 to get 6 minutes and 45 seconds. If you enter 6:45 you will get 6 hours and 45 minutes.

Second, you should format the cells with the Custom format [h]:mm:ss (with the brackets aroung the h) to indicate elapsed time. Otherwise, Excel will show the time mod 24 hours.
    Legare Coleman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, Legare. I suppose it's adding it correctly, giving me 1:19:45 as a result, leaving me to do the mod 60 myself to get 79 minutes.

It will look at bit dorky on my CD cover (I don't have a CD burner with its accompanying software, so I was going to do the cover in Excel or Word) when it shows the time for the first track as 0:06:58 and the total time as 1:19:45. Is there a way to format it to display just the minutes and seconds (what's the [h]: for if not to hide the hours when there aren't any?, but it's not hiding them) and to give the total of minutes without converting to hours for the total?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, I see what you want. Change the format to [mm]:ss (again with the brackets).
    Legare Coleman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, [mm]:ss - that's it . Thanks, Legare. I still needed to have the 0: entered for the hours for it to display correctly (I'm adding this comment for my benefit next time when I try to remember how this works).