Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Member
    Thanks

Lightbulb A Tip for finding your Product ID

>Regedit>HKLocalMAchine>Software>Microsoft>Windows NT>Current Version>Win8

Cheers,
    Drew
    thR0V6M5GG2.jpg

PS: Can't change the heading which has the wrong term. Was meant to be Product Key not ID # ... Although, likely everyone realised that.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-01-04 at 02:16.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-01-03),RolandJS (2015-01-03)

Thanks
    "ProductID" should not be confused with "Product Key" which is the Windows licence key.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-01-03)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Heading, already, amended. But, thank you.

Cheers,
    Drew
    thR0V6M5GG2.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-01-03 at 05:41.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Start > Run, winver

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    "ProductID" should not be confused with "Product Key" which is the Windows licence key.
    True enough, but that registry key actual holds the Windows 8 Product Key, not the Product ID.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Win8]
    "ProductKey"="X9X9X-9X9X9-X9X9X-99999-XXXXX"
    "EditionId"="Professional"

That one is altered, or course, but I checked the actual value against my Product Key, and that's what it is.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Guys,

Interesting as my registry does not have that key!

What I do have is
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DefaultProductKey]
    "ProductId"="00260-00000-00001-AA973"
    "DigitalProductId"=hex:a4,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,30, 30,32,36,30,2d,30,30,30,30,\
    30,2d,30,30,30,30,31,2d,41,41,39,37,33,00,28,0a,00 ,00,5b,42,6c,75,65,5d,58,\
    ... Goes on for 55 more lines.

I've got PS code that extracts the actual key from this Registry entry.

Could this be because I have a machine with UEFI/SecureBoot?
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-01-04 at 10:57.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Secure boot may have something to do with it, RG. I don't have it enabled on my desktop, or my laptop. I haven't checked the registry key on my laptop, but now I'm curious.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I woke my laptop and checked that registry key, it does have it, and it is indeed the Product Key. I don't have secure boot enabled on either desktop or laptop, both were upgrade installs over Windows 7 Home Premium, not OEM pre-installed.

Unleash Windows

Banned Member
    Thanks
    The tile was changed to Product Key. Sorry, bout the wrong term initially. We all know the reference is to the Product Key. Tried to (also) amend the heading, can't. IF someone has the ability, be great if you would amend it, as well. Thereby eliminating any further confusion for anyone. Thanks.

I looked @ deleting & redoing the thread but, that isn't possible either nor is it preferred.

Secure Boot or not should have no bearing on this.

Drew

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My W8.1 system has the following entry, but no sign of the product key. There is no sign of a "Win8" key or value.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
    ProductName = Windows 8.1

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My Win 8.1 system is different yet. I have Product Key and Product Key2 but the product key isn't listed in either.
    I do not have Win8 or ProductName=Windows 8.1

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek,
    Just checked my desktop which is legacy bios not uefi. Win 8 key was there and product key was listed. My guess is that, at least in my case, secure boot does have something to do with how the registry is written.
    Rich
    ‎5000 years ago, Moses said 2 Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses & camels, & I will lead you 2 the Promised Land." When Welfare was introduced, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, & light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land." Now the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels & mortgaged the Promised Land to China

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Why not just use third party software - Belarc Advisor, Magic Jellybean keyfinder, Produkey etc.? You can also get Microsoft Office keys from these.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    The tile was changed to Product Key. Sorry, bout the wrong term initially. We all know the reference is to the Product Key. Tried to (also) amend the heading, can't. IF someone has the ability, be great if you would amend it, as well. Thereby eliminating any further confusion for anyone. Thanks.

I looked @ deleting & redoing the thread but, that isn't possible either nor is it preferred.

Secure Boot or not should have no bearing on this.

Drew
    I edited the title.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I'm thinking that whether or not the registry key is Win8 and reveals the Product Key, or the key has another name and reveals the Product ID, has to do with the installation of Windows 8. We know that OEM pre-installations are required by Microsoft to be UEFI with Secure Boot enabled, and must also have the implementation of UEFI capable of disabling Secure Boot.

Upgrades of Windows 8 can have a range of implementations from an upgrade with much of the pre-existing installation of Windows intact, to what amounts to a clean install of Windows 8, with nothing retained from the previous version of Windows. In my case, on both my desktop and laptop I dual boot, and Windows 7 Ultimate was my primary OS. I upgraded 'the other side' over Windows 7 Home Premium, and chose to retain nothing, amounting to a clean install.

Neither PC has Secure Boot enabled, nor the Trusted Platform Module enabled. Both systems have since been converted from BIOS/MBR to UEFI/GPT using drive images, with no re-installation required.

It is unusual for Windows to have the Product Key written to the registry in plain text, and as Jerry pointed out, third party software can ferret out Product Keys. But this is interesting, nonetheless.

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast