New Lounger
    Thanks

need assistance with Windows repair install

I need to do a repair install on my laptop due to a failed update configuration. It is a rather long story, but I do think this is the best route.

I have seen several how-to guides and I think I can handle it (perhaps with a little guidance). My laptop came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I later upgraded it to SP1. I see there are several options (both content and download source) for the installation disk that is needed. I am not sure which disc version I should use and where is the best place to download it from. Also, suggestions on which tutorial/how-to is the best would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    You'll need a Windows 7, 64 bit home edition (specifically with SP-1 included) to start the repair process on.
    Otherwise you will need to remove service pack one from your machine.

There is also no guaranty that a repair install will fix your issue.
    A backup will be needed for obvious reasons in any attempt to perform such an advanced repair job.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/offici...digital-river/
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I completed the repair install successfully. I now have 180+ updates to install. I would appreciate suggestions on a strategy for proceeding. I would like to do the updates in chunks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tjs View Post
    I completed the repair install successfully. I now have 180+ updates to install. I would appreciate suggestions on a strategy for proceeding. I would like to do the updates in chunks.
    You can do it in chunks, if you like, 10 or 20 at a time.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, that's good. Anyone with suggestions on order of installation - type, date, etc?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    You can do it in chunks, if you like, 10 or 20 at a time.
    To expand on this, if you have netFrameworks active, consider doing those as a group first. Reboot. Then take the security updates in groups of 10. Reboot. Finally take the leftovers in groups of 10. Reboot.
    What I did over here was to activate the programs [like FF, GChrome, msIE, email, etc.] briefly going into my favorite things to do, make sure each clump of updates does not interfere with my normal routines.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    I would do the updates in the order they are offered, the first 25, the second 25, etc. I've done this on a couple of computers I worked and had no problems. I did have failures when I tried to install them all in one go.

Jerry

Thanks
    On my own machines I install whatever is offered in one go. On the rare times I've had a failure it was offered again, and the second time around has always worked.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well you can try slipstreaming the updates with RT7lite and make an updated disk. The big problem is finding all of the updates. With XP several people made monthly update packs using scripts so they all integrated. With Windows 7 sometimes all of the updates don't integrate.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I got them done. Thanks to each of you for your advice. I really appreciate it.