Thanks

Error log needed?

Running 8.1, patched/updated on Asus netbook.

Periodically (at least one time a day) command window will pop up. The title is C:windows/system32/cmd.exe

It will be blank for a while, then some text will appear then vanish too quickly for me to read it.

Other than this the machine appears to be normal. I haven't noticed an association between a program or action at the window appearing.

Is there a log file I can look for to try and figure out what is going on?

Willard

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Does the pop up happen at a particular time - are you able to predict when it will run? If so, you can use Process Monitor to see exactly what the program is, but you need a couple of minutes with the process running to be able to use PE.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Its possibly some program running an automatic update. Hover the mouse over the title and it may reveal the culprit.
    Open a command prompt and type "netsh winsock reset" (without the parentheses). Reboot and see if the problem is solved.

Thanks

Predicatbility

Took note of the window pop up today. First time was immediately after logging in (computer had been asleep), started Firefox. The window popped up, then FF opened. By the time I was able to close FF the cmd.exe window had closed.

About 2 - 3 minutes later, still using FF, it appeared again. I moved the cursor over the box, but there was no popup/text etc. I //think// but am not sure the text is " blah, blah, unable to find blah.exe" or something along those lines. The message appears for only a few seconds before the window closes.

Willard

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Process Monitor can log the results to allow you to view then after the event.

cheers, Paul