New Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless printer won't print

I have connected a printer wirelessly and although it connects with my laptop it won't print. Well, it prints when I ask it to but I get a blank page! I've done the print head clean and align and printed test pages which seem fine; Has anybody any ideas that could help me with this? Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Does the printer produce a self test page using the buttons on the printer?
    Do you have another device you can print from, camera, phone etc?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

The printer shoots out a test page and invisible /blank docs when request is made via the laptop. I've nothing else to test it from.
    Cheers

Heather

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What is the printer? Maybe the manufacturers web site will give us some clues.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a Lexmark combi scanner, fax etc. Model number will have to wait; first day back at work and printer is at home! I'll check website when I go home - feel silly not doing that already! Still, if you have any useful suggestions (apart from that one!) I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Heather

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As it's a scanner, can you photocopy something to prove the printer is working?

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Taking the cartridges out and giving them a good shake often resolves printing problems.

For the printer to be chucking out blank pages means that its getting the message - it's just the sharp end that isn't producing.

Thanks
    Just a thought after reading Sudo15's post, I assume you took the tape off of the ink cartridges didn't you? As dumb as it sounds, it happens sometimes when you are in a hurry.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Lumpy and Sudo. Paul, I've been on Lexmark website and discovered all sorts of network connection advice not in the user manual. I'll try a few things and let you know what happens! Clever clogs to think of that!

Cheers

Heather

Thanks
    Can this wireless printer also be connected via ethernet cable, just for testing?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I uninstalled/reinstalled the printer last night and it's giving me a Problem with Printhead message. Cleaned it as directed but still got the message showing. As I got given the printer and a new printhead costs more than a new printer I'll be disposing of this one! Thank you all once again!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I do hate the "printer is consumable, ink will cost the earth" marketing arrangement in vogue!

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's best to use their branded cartridges during the warranty period but I haven't had any problems with generic Epson ones from www.stinkyink.com but that is UK based.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This has nothing to do with the printer in question here but
    *does* relate to wireless printing.

Wireless has no WOL (Wake on Lan).

If the wireless printer is in sleep, you cannot print by forced wake-up via networking. It is universal true so far. There is an on going design effort on WWOL (wireless wake on lan).

Unless your wireless printer has a good design that its wifi is always on (or able to check wireless periodically), the PC/laptop wireless signal cannot reach the sleeping printer. Even a ping cannot reach the printer.
    Remedy is to wake up the printer by pushing a button on the printer, the power button, for example, in Samsung M series wireless laser printers.

Only *wired* networking has WOL.

In his case, you can test or force a wake-up by pinging it. This pre-wakeup helps the printer ready to receive data. Of course, the print signal itself should have already done that for you. For a big print job, a 10-second ping job prevents possible headache and delay.