2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 boot process goes into wait state sometimes

On occasions when I boot my Windows 7 PC the boot process goes into a wait state and never comes out. This has been happening, off and on, for about a year.

On my PC the normal boot process first displays an "Intel” screen. Eventually that screen disappears and the Windows logo appears and the boot process continues on to completion.
    This Intel screen, when it first appears, has only the Intel logo on it, nothing else.
    Then after maybe 12 to 15 seconds, two messages are displayed just below the Intel logo -
    Bios Settings - F2
    Boot Menu - F10
    These two messages stay for about 6 to 8 seconds, then the entire Intel logo screen disappears and the “Starting Windows” screen appears and the boot process runs to completion.

The problem is that sometimes the boot process never progresses past the Intel logo screen. I have discovered that if the “Bios/Boot” messages do not appear at about the expected time, they never appear and the boot process never completes. I am forced to power off the PC and power back on. Once I do power off and then on, the error does not ever occur at the 2nd power on.

I have waited as long as 20 minutes for the boot process to complete before powering off and starting over. But I have discovered that if the “Bios/Boot” messages do not appear by about 1 minute into the boot process, they aren’t going to and I must power off.

This problem happens randomly without any clear pattern but can be as frequent as every boot or as infrequent as once every 2 weeks or so.

Any clues as to what is going on here?

I purchased and installed CCleaner a couple of weeks ago. I ran it but its a fairly complex program and I haven’t learned it well enough to determine if it can help me or not but I am still getting this problem after running it.

I suspect a virus but I don’t know any way to prove or verify it, especially since the problem appears to occur randomly. Running my current Kaspersky anti virus never finds anything relating to this.

Is there any way I can refresh or restore the boot program(s)?

Specs
    Windows 7-Pro, 64-bit, version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Thanks
    1- Have you tried running antivirus in safe mode.
    2- Have you checked for a BIOS update.
    3- As to CCleaner, personally I uncheck a few things and when making changes to the registry I use the backup feature just in case.
    Here is what I uncheck:
    Cleaner 1.JPG Cleaner reg 1.JPG

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could check the Startup items/non MS services in msconfig but they would start with every boot and not be intermittent.

In msconfig under the Boot tab you can have it create a Boot log and that can be viewed in Windows\ntbtlog - double clicking that will open it in Notepad which can be saved.

Leaving the Boot log enabled and saving each time with its own name, as the log will be overwritten each time you boot, can be compared when the boot hangs to see what is being or not loaded.

It could also be worth downloading the Intel Chipset drivers.

Thanks
    It sounds more like a BIOS issue to me. I assume you have an Intel Motherboard? The F2 F10 messages are definately BIOS messages, not Windows. You should always see them. When they don't appear, the BIOS is having issues enumerating the hardware. Assuming this is a desktop, I would open it up and reseat all the disk cables and try again.

Do you hear any beeps when the F2/F10 messages don't appear?

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    It sounds more like a BIOS issue to me. I assume you have an Intel Motherboard? The F2 F10 messages are definately BIOS messages, not Windows. You should always see them. When they don't appear, the BIOS is having issues enumerating the hardware. Assuming this is a desktop, I would open it up and reseat all the disk cables and try again.

Do you hear any beeps when the F2/F10 messages don't appear?

Jerry
    I agree, Jerry, and I would add reseat everything that plugs into the motherboard, including RAM and any expansion cards that you may have. Other than mouse/keyboard, unplug any USB devices before powering on. This goes for laptop as well, if you're comfortable with opening it up.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Other than mouse/keyboard, unplug any USB devices
    +1
    I have seen this happen
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.