Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 slow to boot: MSE shield red

I am running windows 7 home premium 64-bit and the latest MSE version. When I cold start my PC, bios loads quickly, then I get the windows splash screen, and the icons on my task bar start load. All this happens fairly quickly. Then, however, the MSE icon appears in red. It is taking 3 - 4 minutes for it to go green. In the meantime, I cannot start Firefox or Outlook.

This has been going on for several months. Previously, boot times were fine, even with all the same programs, start items and MSE., so something appears to have changed. I just don't know what.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Thanks
    Sounds a startup item is taking up a lot of cpu time delaying MSE from initializing. Try running MSConfig and disabling every thing in the startup tab except MSE. Reboot and see if it still takes a long time for MSE to start. If Startup is now normal, try re-enabling things in groups until you find the culprit(s). Sometimes just looking at the name of the items give you an idea of problematical ones.

Jerry

Thanks
    This happens to me all the time; 'cause I've got numerous alligators in my castle moat. MSE is red, Avast is yellow, Emsisoft is yellow, etc. -- until, a little later, all turn green or normal OPerations color. To my knowledge, lots of thingies are happening before the desktop finally settles: auto-updates are happening, connecting to this, connecting to that, activating this, activating that, etc. Like the earlier poster said -- find out via msconfig what you can live without while testing. BTW, beware of any software that brags to speed up your pc, fix your pc, etc. Follow the advice of the wise[r than I] techs in Windows Secrets here and you will not go wrong.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I gave up on MSE because I found it had quit running several times. Try avast or AVG both have free versions.
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to you all. I believe that I may have found the culprit. Coincidentally, I saw an error in event viewer caused by a 3rd party backup app. Their support gave me the solution to the error and it involved removing a startup function. That seemed too speed up my start up this morning. I only run one anti-virus, so there is no conflict there. I don't allow anything to "auto update", and I don't use anything that promises to make my PC into a Ferrari.

Thanks
    What are you specs?

I had a friend drop over a Dell studio 1555 [Windows 7 pro 64 bit], and boy was it slow. Boot times, opening Windows explorer, firefox, a video in VLC, you name it..Even after reducing the startup programs, tweaking, cleaning and adjusting settings, the improvement although quite noticeable were still a bit slow from my point of view.

I gave her a second option. Add more RAM and an SSD. She went out and bought them and installed these and a fresh install of windows, and even I was amazed at the difference. Boots up in under 15 seconds, shutdown in 4 sec, opens apps and firefox in a blink, an absolute joy to use again.

If your budget can stretch it I recommend this coarse of action, you won't look back.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gwilki View Post
    Thanks to you all. I believe that I may have found the culprit. Coincidentally, I saw an error in event viewer caused by a 3rd party backup app. Their support gave me the solution to the error and it involved removing a startup function. That seemed too speed up my start up this morning. I only run one anti-virus, so there is no conflict there. I don't allow anything to "auto update", and I don't use anything that promises to make my PC into a Ferrari.
    Sorry missed this reply. So everything back to the way it was? All good now?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Archie: Everything is better, if not "good". I know what you mean about SSD performance. I built a PC for my wife last year and used an SSD for the boot drive. Her Win7 machine starts within seconds. I was tempted to add an SSD to my PC and do a complete re-install of win7, but at this juncture, I believe I'll wait until win10 is out. If I am going to go to all the hassle of re-installing all my apps, I may as well wait a few months and do it on the current OS, not one for which MS will end mainstream support a few days from now. Thanks for your advice.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Sounds a startup item is taking up a lot of cpu time delaying MSE from initializing. Try running MSConfig and disabling every thing in the startup tab except MSE. Reboot and see if it still takes a long time for MSE to start. If Startup is now normal, try re-enabling things in groups until you find the culprit(s). Sometimes just looking at the name of the items give you an idea of problematical ones.

Jerry
    I think I am going to try this.
    Would it only be applicable on start-up?....what about slow to turn off??

Thanks
    Some bad startup programs can slow down normal operation as well as shutdown times in addition to startup times. Most items are unnecessary but don't cause trouble. If you are unsure about a Startup item, look it up in the database here:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/
    or do a Google search.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RichardJS, If you are using all those anti-virus programs at once, it is a wonder your desktop ever loads.
    Last edited by grichardt01; 2015-01-08 at 16:14.