New Lounger
    Thanks

shows connected but cant connect since upgrading to windows 7 pro

Recently upgraded from Vista to windows 7 , Since doing so i am experiencing countless problems connecting. Although my netwrk and sharing center shows I am connected, when i open chrom and try to go to a web page it says no connection.
    Spent about 2 hours on phone with tech support for Asus router (also recently installed) but the came to the conclusion it is the laptop not the router. Probably correct since other wireless laptops and desktops working on same router with no problem. Issue is consistent with a wireless or wired connection.
    I am somewhat computer literate but not sure where to begin. Any suggestions helpful, thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you browse in Safe Mode with Networking and do you have the Win 7 drivers for your Network adapters ?

If you can browse in Safe Mode etc. but not in normal mode, it's usually an AV program problem and doing a manual check for updates usually resolves.

Do you also have the same problem with IE ?

In IE go Tools cog - Internet options - under Connections tab - click on LAN settings and ensure that just the top radio button is checked and the Proxy server one isn't.

Sometimes these commands from an admin command prompt can resolve if none of the above have resolved -

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

ipconfig / release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /registerdns

exit

Then reboot.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-01-05 at 20:01.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Before reading your post I did the following.
    I restored back a few day with no success so I retracted the restore back to what i had.
    Next I tried plugging lan line from laptop directly into cable modem and when I did that internet started working. I then disconnected from cable modem and tried it but was not connected. I had to go through the connect to wireless network process as if it were the first time connecting to that router. After doing that I was able to connect to internet.
    I then did a check for updates and even though it said it was last updated yesterday it also said there were 168 critical updates????
    I started downloading and installing them and thats when I saw your post so i will probably not be able to do anything for a day until all the updates are done. will keep you posted and thanks for answering.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Can you browse in Safe Mode with Networking and do you have the Win 7 drivers for your Network adapters ?

If you can browse in Safe Mode etc. but not in normal mode, it's usually an AV program problem and doing a manual check for updates usually resolves.

Do you also have the same problem with IE ?

In IE go Tools cog - Internet options - under Connections tab - click on LAN settings and ensure that just the top radio button is checked and the Proxy server one isn't.

Sometimes these commands from an admin command prompt can resolve if none of the above have resolved -

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

ipconfig / release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /registerdns

exit

Then reboot.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As you can now connect there'll be no need to carry out those commands etc.

It seems strange that the router lost all of it's settings, although a power cycle can often resolve.

To do that should you have any further problems, switch off the modem (when separate), router, all machines and disconnect all cables for a couple of minutes.

Reconnect all cables and switch just the modem on until all of the lights are on and steady, do the same for the router then switch just the affected machine on to see if it will connect.