3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

Monitor Question

Never heard of this but I read recently while on a monitor hunt (Viewsonic) that the monitor should always be turned on before the PC. I (usually most of the time) turn on computer and then monitor.

Next question I am working with one monitor and 2 computers. One is on a VGA inpu and other is on HDMI input. I have been shutting one unit off before I turn other unit on, I was wondering if both PCs could be on and I just use the monitor menu to switch the vga/hdmi.

Or is there some type of switch I could setup

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post
    Never heard of this but I read recently while on a monitor hunt (Viewsonic) that the monitor should always be turned on before the PC. I (usually most of the time) turn on computer and then monitor.

Next question I am working with one monitor and 2 computers. One is on a VGA inpu and other is on HDMI input. I have been shutting one unit off before I turn other unit on, I was wondering if both PCs could be on and I just use the monitor menu to switch the vga/hdmi.

Or is there some type of switch I could setup
    If you turn your monitor on after your computer has booted into Windows then there is a good chance the display resolution will be lower than desired.

You could look at using a KVM switch (will allow you to use the same keyboard, monitor, and mouse, with both computers).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2015-01-06)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Once your computer has discovered your monitor - it's like any other connected hardware - there is no reason to have it turned on before the computer starts.

I use one monitor with VGA and HDMI for two computers. There is a button on the monitor that lets me swap input so I don't need a KVM switch.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Once your computer has discovered your monitor - it's like any other connected hardware - there is no reason to have it turned on before the computer starts.

I use one monitor with VGA and HDMI for two computers. There is a button on the monitor that lets me swap input so I don't need a KVM switch.

cheers, Paul
    Paul
    Now I just have a button that when clicked turns on the HP monitor menu on screen then I can change the source input from VGA to or HDMI, Is that how you do it. If so it would definitely help a bunch, I was worried about having both PCs on at one time and maybe some kind of interference occurring

After all I am the Bulb.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    'NBB',

Before or after, doesn't matter. But, on a slightly different tact... I can understand the monitor being off but, there should be no need or reason for a computer to be off (very often).

Shut the monitor off when away from the machine for a while but, not the machine. Just a thought; trust you don't mind me sharing it.

Cheers,
    Drew

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    'NBB',

Before or after, doesn't matter. But, on a slightly different tact... I can understand the monitor being off but, there should be no need or reason for a computer to be off (very often).

Shut the monitor off when away from the machine for a while but, not the machine. Just a thought; trust you don't mind me sharing it.

Cheers,
    Drew
    I do the opposite. I turn my PC off at night and leave the monitor on. The monitor doesn't draw much power when its not being used. I do agree that the only reason to turn the PC off is to save a small amount of power. I just got into the habit of turning it off at night from the XP days when it was a good idea. Do whatever yo are comfortable with in powering off the PC and/or monitor. It really shouldn't make much difference.

Jerry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have an ASUS monitor w/ a button to switch from VGA/DVI/HDMI depending on what cable is connected. When I first got my new computer with a NVIDIA GeForce 660ti and the ASUS monitor ( both having all 3 connections ), I hooked up all 3 cables until I realized that my computer thought I had 3 monitors hooked up, LOL ( newbie MISTAKE ). The computer recognized all of them.
    As to the age old question of shutting down your computer, I shut down everything at night and give it a break.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I do the opposite. I turn my PC off at night and leave the monitor on. The monitor doesn't draw much power when its not being used. I do agree that the only reason to turn the PC off is to save a small amount of power. I just got into the habit of turning it off at night from the XP days when it was a good idea. Do whatever yo are comfortable with in powering off the PC and/or monitor. It really shouldn't make much difference.

Jerry
    I have always shut everything down at night 27 years starting with a Tandy.

Now what about the leaving both PCs on and just switching the monitor display using the monitor menu source input to jump between PCs.

I know this is probably a stupid question but remember I am the "Bulb"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never given it a thought - I just switch on whatever's nearest first, never had a problem. Sometimes, I don't switch the monitor on at all, if I need access to shares that are on the machine.

Thanks
    I have an ASUS monitor w/ a button to switch from VGA/DVI/HDMI depending on what cable is connected. When I first got my new computer with a NVIDIA GeForce 660ti and the ASUS monitor ( both having all 3 connections ), I hooked up all 3 cables until I realized that my computer thought I had 3 monitors hooked up, LOL ( newbie MISTAKE ). The computer recognized all of them.
    Yes indeed that sounds like something I would do.

Anyway I did use the menu's source input to switch the 2 computers and it's working great As usual the Lounge rascals have my back. Thanks everybody.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Allow me to explain...

Monitors do not need to be on, computers do. Monitors don't do anything whilst not being used except draw power & generate heat. Computers do important things, even, whilst not, actually, 'in use'. Many of these things are @ night and none of them can happen if it is off... and the amount of power an 'idling' computer draws is, really, tiny.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    Computers do important things, even, whilst not, actually, 'in use'.
    Curious as to what important things my computer would be up to while I'm sleeping. I don't allow any updating/upgrading etc cause I'm paranoid.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Allow me to explain...

Monitors do not need to be on, computers do. Monitors don't do anything whilst not being used except draw power & generate heat. Computers do important things, even, whilst not, actually, 'in use'. Many of these things are @ night and none of them can happen if it is off... and the amount of power an 'idling' computer draws is, really, tiny.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    All those things - Windows Update, AV update, Defrag - will just be done the next day at idle times if you power down each day. Its still your personal preference if you want to power down. each night. As I stated earlier, modern monitors don't draw much power or generate heat when idle.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post
    Curious as to what important things my computer would be up to while I'm sleeping. I don't allow any updating/upgrading etc cause I'm paranoid.
    Windows is constantly carrying out housekeeping tasks when you're not using it. Also, the CPU is constantly checking what it has to do, even if it's nothing.