Thread: email

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

email

I need to switch to another email address in a few days. I don't have any clue. Will this be tough to do? Thanks Chuck

Thanks
    We need to know which e-mail providers are involved and whether you will be using web mail or a desktop e-mail client (e.g. Thunderbird) to access your mail.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been checking emails address,s out so iam not really sure. Iam kinda looking at some sort of private email address,s where if your sending email to someone they give a secret word to open email. ( my secret word I guess ) I guess its like scrambled letters ( encrypted I guess ) probably email like that. Seems more private. Any ideas at all?
    My present email is ( gmail ) . I had Google search as my home page, I switched to DuckDuckGo. Google has to much tracking. I do nothing at all illegal. But I just don't like tracking sending info to who knows where.

Thanks, Chuck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There a two basic methods for securing email.
    1. Use a certificate in your existing email program to encrypt the email. This is not very easy to set up.
    2. Pay for a web based secure email system, about $5 p/m upwards.
    I've not found any free, simple and secure alternatives, but someone else may have a suggestion.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, really the only one I have found is https://www.hushmail.com/signup/

Iam not sure if I did this right. Check this out, let me no what you think.
    Theres a free version and a paid. Me being a cheapy, free everything for me. But if you don't think I should mess with I wont for sure. Like I had said my email now is gmail. Why I want to do this. Oh about 1 month ago, gmail put in log a warning ( suspicious activity ) so I checked my gmail logs. Theres no other IP address. I got no bank accounts or credit card so $$$ isn't any problem at all.
    But it appears hackers got my IP address some how. I noticed that logs indicate someone is on the net with my IP address. I know for a fact, I was asleep at these times, this don't happen all the time. I really use email a lot. Iam in a rest home due to 2 strokes and cant talk at all. I got 3 Daughters I email alot. I do no this for a fact, so much activity gmail will lock your account. My understanding the only way that you can change your IP, is internet provider. This whole place is on WIFI. I sent email to internet provider about this. I haven't heard anything yet, that was just yesterday. Thanks, Chuck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hackers always have your IP address, it's not something you can hide easily. A warning from Google probably means someone was attempting to log into your email from a computer not normally used by you. Using Google via a browser is secure and reliable, so I'd stick with it.

If you want advice on the contents of your Gmail log you could post it here.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will stick with gmail. I was kinda wondering about the IP address . I know is all you have to do is go on search type in whats my IP and that shows it. Maybe that's how hackers get an IP. Iam Just guessing. Do you think sometime Google will lock my gmail account? I don't understand how thay can get an IP number. Iam very legal, I do nothing, don't download anything, don't go to game sites, my computer is clean of malware. I have Malwarebytes and my antivirus, I run these everyday with updates, and also got Ccleaner I run everyday. I just don't know. Thank Very Much Paul. Thanks, Chuck

Thanks
    If you are using wifi or shared internet, everyone in the house has the same public IP address. You might be seeing another resident using the net.

Jerry