Thanks

Problem: very slow time to connect to net after reboot - sometimes up to 5 minutes

Hi all,

PC running Win7 Ultimate SP1. Samsung 120GB SSD. Several 2TB Western Digital HDs, H87-Pro MoBo, 8GB fast Ram, separate graphics card.

Symptoms:

• after a normal reboot to desktop, I open Network and Sharing Center which shows an X between the Network (House) icon and the Internet (Blue Planet) icon. The X persists between 3 and 5 minutes after which it may close of its own accord.
    • After what appears to be an all-clear, the Network system tray icon has also lost its X.
    • But...a check of browser and email client shows that they have not connected to the Net via the external Netgear Modem/Router. There is no activity on its frontpanel activity LEDs. Currently I'm using the on-board network card on the mobo.
    • At this stage I activate the Network Troubleshooter in Network and Sharing Center and let it run while watching the still unconnected Firefox browser window.
    • If I'm lucky, after another minute or two, the Netgear Modem/Router springs into life and the blank browser page populates with content.
    • one of the added hidden delights is that the connection to the net will unpredictably stop, until I use the Network Troubleshooter again.

This problem has been happening for maybe 12 months. I've been through everything I can think of:
    • Uninstalling and reinstalling everything network related.
    • Uninstalling all malware and Eset anti-virus
    • Disabling Win7's firewall
    • scanned for bad things

I've talked to my ISP who confirmed that my PC has been connected to the net for long periods - days, weeks. But locally it's a different story.

Maybe, just maybe someone here can throw me a bone or point me in a different direction.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by nzo; 2015-01-07 at 11:53.
    Half frog, half man, but which half?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Your ISP would only be able to confirm that you had broadband coming down the line and not the connection between the router and your pc and I assume all of the router's lights were on ?

Your thread title says after a reboot - what is it like on a cold start up ?

Do you get the same browser connectivity problems when wired and is it the same when you boot up into Safe Mode with Networking ?

It's possible the wireless NIC in the router is on the way out - how old is the router and is it a modem/router combo or are you using a separate modem and router ?

Did your ISP suggest factory resetting or power cycling the router or checking for any firmware updates for the router (if router not ISP supplied) ?

What exactly does Windows Troubleshooter report ?

Sometimes this can be a DNS problem but we'll need the answers to the previous questions before going on.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-01-07 at 12:27.

Thanks
    Is it a wireless or a wired connection?
    Did you see if there's an updated driver for your PC NIC (Network Interface Card) ?

Jerry

Thanks
    Also, Go here when you get connectivity: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/...Desk_Download/ and put in your OS for available updates. There are 5 updates just for LAN alone so you need to check the versions.
    Have you checked the Action Center for problems or the error logs?
    My take on your description is that the signal isn't making it from your router to the NIC card for some reason. Possibly a router problem or the NIC problem of accepting/using the signal correctly.
    HTH

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There should also be something in Event Viewer timed stamped for the boots and disconnects.

Thanks
    Greetings all!

Sorry to be such a retard in not getting back here sooner. I ran out of time on several other maintenance jobs that were kicking down the door.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions which I'll get to over the next frew days.

Thanks.
    Half frog, half man, but which half?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is probably not your problem, but it is so easy to do that you really should start by checking the performance tab in the Task Manager.

If either CPU Usage or Memory is 100%, and if they drop to some lower figure about the time that you connect to the Network, then you have a problem with one of your start up processes.