5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

More great utilities for better productivity

BEST UTILITIES

More great utilities for better productivity

By Ken Blake

The 2014 'Windows Secrets' ultimate utilities list' article is an excellent compendium of must-have apps. Many of the utilities on the list are among my favorites. But there are others that I use all the time some for many years. Most are free, and all work with Windows 8.1.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/best-utilities/more-great-utilities-for-better-productivity/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know Evernote, but what I do use is Notezilla and love it. I use it for the electronic post notes, sure, but it is also really good at storing all sorts of data which you can bring up as notes on the screen and print or just view. I never see Notezilla mentioned when this type of application is brought up. You are missing out if you don't try it out.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Also another I see mentioned all the time is Start8. I stayed away from that because I have had some issues with Stardock apps in the past. Could be Start8 is wonderful. The application I use is Startisback. There is a Win8 version as well as a Win8.1 version. $2.99 for 1 PC, 4.99 for 2 PCs and 9.99 for 5 PCs. As mentioned with Start8, you would have a hard time knowing you weren't on Win7. I am hoping that applications like these will have a place on Win10.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Concerning "Everything search" in the "More great utilities for better productivity" column, the inability to search inside files is exactly the reason I use "Search My Files" & "Agent Ransack". Both are free. Here are the links: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html & http://mythicsoft.com/filelocatorlite/download.

Lounger
    Thanks
    When I am asked for help on someone's Win 8.x computer, I always(with permission) install StartMenu8. I like it better than others I have tried.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another great screen capture utility(free) is Greenshot. http://getgreenshot.org/
    Lots of useful options for grabbing screenshots or selections of screens. Copy to clipboard, print or edit your captures.