Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 reaches milestone; prepare for its demise

TOP STORY

Win7 reaches milestone; prepare for its demise

By Susan Bradley

It might be difficult to believe, but on Jan. 13 we begin the final countdown for Windows 7.

On that date, one of Microsoft's best and most successful versions of Windows hits its official "end of mainstream support." Here's what that means for all Win7 users.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...or-its-demise/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2015-01-07 at 18:23.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    But how do you currently upgrade and to what: Win7->win8->8.1 ?

Or are you obliged to install from scratch ?

For a non professional installation I faced numerous issues with stupid (when problem found) issues. But the Common denominator was host: In machine unavailability, in hours spent, in calendar time. I'm sure that for the small Business user, the problem must ne identical or a multiple of what I saw.

B.r.

R. Moller

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Finding out just which vn of .Net a bit of software needs seems to be an unaddressed issue - and uninstalling dotNet to test is a clumsy (and time-consuming) way of doing it. I found that CFF Explorer could identify the vn of .Net required by an individual program, but manually accessing each program was a pain. I briefly pursued writing a script to plow through my programs folder, using the scripting feature of CFF Explorer (which uses Lua), but gave up after making too many silly mistakes. If anyone has a bright idea, I'd be interested (or I may have to get back to that unfinished script).

Lounger
    Thanks
    This is an important, and good article, but it spends too much time addressing legacy software. I know that older software is still useful, regret loosing some good stuff, but I am not a business. I wish you had offered comments on upgrading from Win7 to Win10, and what to do about upgrading from Office 2010. Will there be hardware requirements for Win10? Office?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I resent MS forcing us to 'upgrade'. I detest Win 8 -- gave away the laptop I bought having it.
    It's all about maintaing the revenue stream.
    Win 7 forever with good protection software.
    And I feel better getting that off my chest.
    Last edited by NatanElias; 2015-01-08 at 08:21.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NatanElias For This Useful Post:

mossum (2015-01-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks

hardware vs OS

nice article, but you don't mention anything about the hardware requirements for 8 and 10 - I have a thinkpad that only supports 2gb memory and does not have PAE (it would make no sense right?) but I can't put 8/10 on it. I am not sure I will care about it in 2020, but it is an important issue - I can't just 'jump to 10' on it.

the PAE/NX/SSE2 issues are rarely advertised, they say 10 will work on systems down to 1 ghz but not really because of this.
    Last edited by nrfnrfnrf; 2015-01-08 at 08:30. Reason: grammar

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm afraid that preparing for Win7's demise is a bit premature for me since I'm still preparing for the demise of Win2K, which I've used for most of my computing activity - including Internet access - for the past 4 1/2 years since its own End of extended support with no security incursions whatsoever. But increasing amounts of software that I sometimes want to run won't run on Win2K without significant tweaking, so I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to XP (which I expect will continue to be able to run quite securely indeed for at least a comparable period - say, through the end of 2018 - as long as decent third-party security software continues to run on it as it still runs on Win2K) for most of my activity or make the leap to Win 8.1 (since I picked up three Win 8 Pro retail upgrade licenses back when they were available for $30 - $40 and have access to existing Windows versions to use them on, and while I prefer XP going with Win 8/8.1 should defer any need for another platform upgrade for over a decade).

My point is not so much that everyone can easily do without the latest few versions of Windows as that running a version well beyond its end of extended support can be done quite securely if you use good third-party security software on it and at least a moderately up-to-date browser (no, I haven't used IE on Win2K for a decade or more. save to access Windows Update and the occasional persnickety Web site). And for those who might still be nervous places like msfn.org back-port many security patches for still-supported Windows versions and provide dll wrappers that allow current versions of software to run on older systems, though I haven't found a need for them myself.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It would be rather nice of Microsoft to issue an SP2 for Win7 so as to incorporate all the updates issued to date, I for one am not happy with Win 8 in any form and am not looking forward to Win 10 unless they bring back the Win 7 type interface which is why a lot of people are reluctant to move to the latest versions.
    Bob
    Win 7 HP & Ult

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TravellingMan For This Useful Post:

mossum (2015-01-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm seriously considering buying a Mac Pro and leaving Microsoft in the dust. It is more than ridiculous to be forced to put up with their childlike fears.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mbutler205 For This Useful Post:

mossum (2015-01-09)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbutler205 View Post
    I'm seriously considering buying a Mac Pro and leaving Microsoft in the dust. It is more than ridiculous to be forced to put up with their childlike fears.
    If you think OSX is any different, think again. They actually support fewer versions than Microsoft.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Take away those milestones - they're mill-stones!

hr][/hr]TOP STORY

Again frustration and utter disappointment-I keep feeling fooled by Microsoft, including their causing me damages, with no compensation. When I purchased, upgraded or whatever the terminology {I call it now being "re-duped"} new Win editions from them in the past - I entered into a contract, which they kept negating resulting in both my financial loss and loss of time. Simple good faithful service to customers would offer updates and new editions for free in a better world.
    You wrote in your present article
    :- I hope all XP users have heeded my advice and are now using some other device for theit internet activities. I missed this articles - and therefore ask Can you offer me advice on any other device foe my Internet activities which is NOT from Microsoft?!?!?!

Thank you

Dr H. Z

(I hope all XP users have heeded my advice and are now using some other device for their Internet activities.Susan Bradley) . I missed this article, so ask:-
    Can you offer me some other device for my Internet activities... preferably not from Microsoft!?!?!?!?
    Sincere good wishes

Zedpeh Dr. H.

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.[/td] [/tr][/tbl][/QUOTE]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When Win7 ends, I'm going Apple. Actually, I've already begun, learning how to use an iPad tablet. Next up I'll get a Mac. I'll keep the Win7 desktop for another year, but that's it. I've been a Microsoft/Intel PC user since DOS3.6 (and a "Langalist" subscriber for a long time, too), but Win8 pushed me over the edge. With Apple I get an integrated computing environment: phone, tablet, desktop. Microsoft can't do that. Yes, the change will be a pain in the patootie, but taken in steps it's manageable. Adios, MS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    If you think OSX is any different, think again. They actually support less versions than Microsoft.
    Yep, both less and fewer. ;-)
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NatanElias View Post
    I resent MS forcing us to 'upgrade'. It's all about maintaing the revenue stream.
    Yup.

Win 7 forever with good protection software.
    A lot of us felt that way about XP, but Win 7 Pro turned out much better in most aspects and I would never go back.

I did, however, hold on to XP on all of the systems in my business until I was very sure that Win 7 Pro had settled out, then I upgraded them all. (Except one Vista system which runs one piece of irreplaceable software and is turned off except when we actually need to use it.)

I did the same with Win 8: waited. And decided not to upgrade to it. It appeared that Microsoft had lost its way and was trying to put consumer style smart phones on the desktop. Sorry, but I and most of my employees already have a smart phone. We need a real useful business system on the desktop and a useful cash register on the checkout counter.

Now I am playing the waiting game for Win 10. If it looks like Microsoft has found its way again I will continue to wait until all of the inevitable problems are ironed out. Then I will upgrade. Otherwise I will continue to wait until they release something useful or I retire, whichever comes first.

Of course it would be nice if Microsoft would make the networking easier to setup and use without reducing capabilities or forcing me to conform to their pre-determined view of the world. It would be nice if the kernel was better designed so it was not so vulnerable to various hacker exploits. Etc. There are probably a lot of ways they could improve it without reducing its usefulness, but I'd just settle for something as good as Win 7 Pro.

Thanks

Consider all the Costs

mbutler205:
    mossbloom:
    When Win7 ends, I'm going Apple. Actually, I've already begun, learning how to use an iPad tablet. Next up I'll get a Mac. I'll keep the Win7 desktop for another year, but that's it. I've been a Microsoft/Intel PC user since DOS3.6 (and a "Langalist" subscriber for a long time, too), but Win8 pushed me over the edge. With Apple I get an integrated computing environment: phone, tablet, desktop. Microsoft can't do that. Yes, the change will be a pain in the patootie, but taken in steps it's manageable. Adios, MS.
    The problem with going over to Apple is that their hardware upgrades and their OS upgrades are tightly interwoven. When you upgrade the OS, you may need to upgrade the hardware which goes with it.

As Ruirib pointed out, Apple actually has fewer versions supported than Microsoft at any given time. Apple only supports two or three OS versions at a time. If your OS version is any older, even the Geniuses will not help you.

On the plus side, Apple is not charging for OS upgrades now, within the limitations I have cited above.

So when you make the leap over to Apple, keep in mind that that expensive iPad or MacBook will only last you two to four years. You will then not have the option of upgrading to the next new OS version, as your hardware will no longer be supported. The OS upgrade will simply not install. You can't upgrade Apple hardware to work with the requirements of an OS upgrade which exceeds what your Mac or iPad is able to support. No reprieves and no third party or generic parts.

Something to consider when calculating the true costs of Apple vs. Microsoft computers and OS upgrades.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2015-01-08 at 14:23.
    -- Bob Primak --

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2015-01-16)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast