Star Lounger
    Thanks

0000009f BSOD and driver update program

Hello All,
    Over the past three months, I have experienced three BSODs with the same error: 0000009f.
    I am running Win7 Pro on a Toshiba X-70 Qosmio that uses an Intel CoreI7 4700MQ processor, boots from a Samsung 850 Pro 128 gb SSD, uses an HGST 1 terabyte HDD for data storage, runs 8 gig of Samsung DDR1600 memory and Nvidia Geforce GTX 770M discrete gpu.
    I captured the dmp file and MSInfo32 output file with today's crash but not the first two times, which were back in November 2014.
    Today I also set up the minidump feature to NOT automatically reboot, because all three crashes have happened when the computer (which runs 24/7) was unattended.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated . . .

Also, I have always felt "if it ain't broke don't fix it", so I have never been one to just update drivers because there is a newer version available but . . .
    I am beginning to entertain a change in my ways . . .
    My question to all is: What driver updater program do you use (if any)?

Thanks ahead of time and . . .
    Best Regards,
    Bob Miller
    Last edited by robtlmiller; 2015-01-07 at 17:13.

Thanks
    I don't use any driver updater program, and recommend against their use. The only drivers I might update would be those directly from the PC manufacturer's support site.

Here is a link to Microsoft Support concerning that BSOD code.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, bbearren!
    >>The only drivers I might update would be those directly from the PC manufacturer's support site.<<
    I am of the same mind as you but maybe even more conservative in that I firmly feel "If it ain't broke . . ."
    I will apply the hot fix because, as mentioned, the computer has been asleep each time the crash occurred - or something brought it out of sleep.
    I have also installed a program called "whocrashed" that captures what driver (if any) caused the problem.
    Thanks again!

Thanks
    Hi Bob, zip and attach the minidump(s) and the MSinfo32 NFO file and I'll look them over for you.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Satrow,
    Thank you so much!
    See attached.
    0000009f Crash files 010715.zip
    Best Regards,
    Bob Miller

Thanks
    Nothing obvious, try disabling the Intel wireless card in the notebook's BIOS, if it's not needed.

No pattern seen in the WER reports, no obvious 'bad' drivers loaded.

Change the dump type to Kernel, 0x9F BSOD's usually require more detail than that saved in minidumps. This would need uploading to somewhere publicly accessible, like Skydrive, or w/e the name is today, way too big for most fora to handle (zip it before uploading!).

With luck, the Hotfix will cure it anyway

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Satrow, thank you for your help and insight.
    No, I don't use the wireless card as this machine is hard wired to the router, and is right next to the router, which made wireless signal strength iffy.
    As you say, perhaps the hotfix will do the trick . . .
    If the crash occurs with the hotfix in place, on your advice, I will next disable the wireless card in the BIOS as a next step.
    Thank you again and . . .
    Best Regards,
    Bob Miller