Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Static IP: Router or Windows

Hello everyone, new guy here with some questions. I'll get into some more detail in following posts but this question pertains to static IP's. My understanding is static IP's can be set via the router and also via Windows. What is the difference and the preferred method? Currently I have my computers and devices set with static IP's from within my router (Asus RT-AC66R). Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    IP addresses must be unique and if you set the address manually in Windows you may make a mistake and have two the same. Your router can (should always) assign IP addresses and it will not allow two to be used at the same time. Whether you reserve the addresses or let the router manage them is up to you.

Personally I don't use static addresses, the router does a great job on it's own and I can talk to my printer via its DNS name no matter what the IP is.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    IP addresses must be unique and if you set the address manually in Windows you may make a mistake and have two the same. Your router can (should always) assign IP addresses and it will not allow two to be used at the same time. Whether you reserve the addresses or let the router manage them is up to you.

Personally I don't use static addresses, the router does a great job on it's own and I can talk to my printer via its DNS name no matter what the IP is.

cheers, Paul
    Paul, thanks for the reply. As I am trying to integrate a home server into my network, I thought it best to create static IP's for all my computers/devices. I left the IP addresses as my router had them assigned and just clicked the "lock" button next to each device which then made the IP address static. In my router I am able to assign a name to each device to identify them easily which I did as well. Does this sound like a good method?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    In a standard network only the server should have a static IP address, the PCs should be left as DHCP.
    Depending on the set up, the server should assign IP addresses and the router is used just for access outside the local network, but on a home system you can probably stick with it as is. Make sure the server does not have a DHCP server running.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    In a standard network only the server should have a static IP address, the PCs should be left as DHCP.
    Depending on the set up, the server should assign IP addresses and the router is used just for access outside the local network, but on a home system you can probably stick with it as is. Make sure the server does not have a DHCP server running.

cheers, Paul
    In general this is true but wireless printers and Network disks often work better with Static IP addresses reserved in the router.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like I'll be ok having static IP's set in my router for a home network (without the server running a DHCP server).

Just to get a little more info, why would someone want to assign a static IP in Windows vs. the router? Does it accomplish the same thing just software vs. hardware?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes, it does the same thing. You may want to do this in a closed network - no external access.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    wireless printers and Network disks often work better with Static IP
    I can't see why that would be the case unless you are talking to the devices via the IP address. If you use the DNS name there should be no issues.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    If you manually set up static IP addresses in each PC, make sure that either these addresses are reserved in the router and DHCP is disabled in the router.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

cheers, Paul
    I would agree, but occasionally we have experienced a problem. For example, let'say i put a Windows 7 PC in Sleep mode. Sometime later, i boot up a different computer. Later still, i wake up the PC that was in Sleep mode and Windows informs me that there's an IP address conflict. It seems that the router reassigned the first PC's IP address to the computer that i booted up later. Does this situation make a case for having the router assign static IP addresses?

Thanks
    I can't see why that would be the case unless you are talking to the devices via the IP address. If you use the DNS name there should be no issues.

cheers, Paul
    I have found that in a large corporate network, it is easier to map to printers if they have static IP addresses. And although I don't often assign static IP addresses for printers in a home network, it is handy to know what the IP address of the printer is when you are mapping to it.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Jim, I never allow users to map to printers in the corporate environment. All printers are run from a server and the names published in AD. Then the user can just double click on the printer name and no printer IP address is involved.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Jim, I never allow users to map to printers in the corporate environment. All printers are run from a server and the names published in AD. Then the user can just double click on the printer name and no printer IP address is involved.

cheers, Paul
    When I talk about mapping printers, I speak of myself or another technician mapping a printer, not the user. I would never expect a user to map a printer using an IP address.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Again, I don't map printers, that's the job of the network and it keeps admin simple.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 2 printers attached to my Wireless Router via Ethernet cables, any computer I install the software on picks up/recognizes the printers and assigns the IP address. Haven't seen a need to manually change those IPs and Wired plus Wi-Fi computers print, includes the last 4 versions of Windows, Linux Mint and Mac OS X 10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast