Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation OneDrive Sync Engine failing

On my desktop Windows 8.1 system (only) I have started to continually get "OneDrive Sync Engine Stopped working" when I check the Reliability Monitor. That's the only way I know it failed to sync. If I initiate the sync using the File Explorer I get the cloud icon with a blur circle/slash over it which just goes away if I mouse over it. I got Microsoft Support in a chat session and got a guy who had me check all sorts of stuff then took over my system and changed settings including uninstalling/reinstalling OneDrive and doing a Refresh. Finally he gave up and said I'd have to create a new user on my system and use that from now on. Since I have literally hundreds of products installed on my system, many of which I don't know where the install files are, there's no way I can do that. I told him I'd just use Google Drive exclusively from now on.

Doing a Google search I found there's a OneDrive troubleshooter that the support guy hadn't used nor mentioned. I ran that and created a file of diagnostic information that the troubleshooter says can be sent to Microsoft. After running that I found it hadn't fixed the problem. In fact I can no longer save to the OneDrive folder now. I chatted with Microsoft Support again and the guy told me he know nothing at all about the troubleshooter and didn't want me to send the diagnostic file to Microsoft.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there any way to run the OneDrive Sync Engine under a debugger so the problem can be determined?

Here's the Event Viewer entry which doesn't help at all:
    Faulting application name: skydrive.exe, version: 6.3.9600.17484, time stamp: 0x545d75c6
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0x00000000
    Fault offset: 0x00000000

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was having the same issue. I reset OneDrive, ran the trouble shooter. No matter what i did, the icon for one drive kept showing the exclamation mark indicating a problem. A system restore didn't help in any way either.

After HOURS of trying everything including confirming permissions on the OneDrive folder and multiple restarts I finally got it to work correctly.

What I did..

1. Ran OneDrive Troubleshooter and reset settings
    2. Via Windows + R
    skydrive.exe /reset
    3. Reboot computer
    4. Via Windows + R
    skydrive.exe
    *files are syncing, but indicates it is paused, clicking resume does nothing to change the icon warning*
    5. Confirm/Change permission on OneDrive folder
    In File Explorer, right click on OneDrive, Select Properties
    Click Security Tab
    Click Advanced and confirm the following 3 Principals have Full Control Access
    SYSTEM
    Administrators (computer-name\Administrators)
    YourMicrosoftAccount (yourname@hotmail.com)
    *In my system these were duplicated, one set had inheritance=NONE (which i removed), the other set is inheriting from the user folder for my account. This left one set of principals.
    Check the box "Replace all child object permission entries..."
    Click OK and allow the permissions to reset thru the directory

I don't know if the above is at all necessary, since it is still broken at this point, but it may be relevant.

6. Attempted to install optional updates. KB3000850 repeatedly failed when using windows update. (this is a roll up update for 8.1)
    7. Downloaded offline version of update8. The install appears to hang for a couple of minutes, but it is installing. it took 10 minutes on my solid state hard drive i7, 16GB laptop. Soon, the progress bar suddlenly jumps to half, and the panic lessens.
    9. when the update completes, you are asked to restart.

10. VOILA, no more broken icon in the task bar.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Running the OneDrive Troubleshooter does the skydrive /reset and also added the inheritance=NONE for my account. I had installed KB3000850 in November when it became available through Windows Update. The OneDrive Troubleshooter finds no errors but I still have the same problem.

What really bugs me is that when the sync times-out there's no user notification. Only by looking at the Reliability Monitor did I find that it was hanging each time all day.