3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Media Player can't play .mp4 files

I occasionally get this message when trying to play a file.
    I have been on the Windows site and can't seem to find an upgrade version that plays .mp4's.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    rstew

Thanks
    Lemmie see, my VLC, RealPlayer, CyberLink PowerDVD, WMP, all play MP4s. Check CTL PNL Default Programs, within Set Your Default Programs --make sure your favorite media player has all defaults, and/or, within Associate a File type... -- find, goto .mp4, click on change, choose your favorite media player, save and exit CTL PNL.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-01-11 at 13:27.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It would seem from what I've read that WMP doesn't yet support MP4 and you need a Codec Pack.

This free one seems to be highly recommended http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-01-08 at 20:30.

Thanks
    The K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack includes "Media Player Classic", which can play just about any video format.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Media Player 12 is the only one that comes ready to play MP4's and I think you need Win 7 but I'm not entirely sure about that. The other suggestions listed here by others are good, especially VLC.

Thanks
    Several years ago now, I was really getting tired of having to download a new player every time I'd want to play some new file type.
    A friend suggested that I use the K-Lite Codecs......I got it that day and the rest is just history.
    My Media Player, whether in XP or 8.1, plays virtually everything.

There is a special version of K-Lite Codecs for Vista. I keep all the versions on my Utilities disk, so I can share them with my customers.
    Whenever there is an update to any version, it's available on the File Hippo website, and through their daily newsletter.

No more having to have half a dozen players on my PC. What a quagmire that was!

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    ...it's available on the File Hippo website...
    I use the "MEGA" codec pack (includes Media Player Classic) from http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Me...k_download.htm
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I've been using PotPlayer for about 3 years now.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...organizers.htm

Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft, in it's wisdom, decided that WMV was the only desired type of container desired. And part of that decision was to NOT support MPEG-4 codec standards but use it's own version of the MP-4 standard. For many years, Microsoft resisted changing that decision. That led to the development of many alternative video players with alternative views about media libraries. Windows Media Player is really a media manager that includes a lot of features beyond a simple player. As a player WMP is quite bloated and slow on many machines. For a simple player, any of the alternatives do the job. I use Media Player Classic with the Klite codec pack but keep VLC around as an alternative when MPC balks. VLC has the least troublesome install routine.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good old Microsoft! Always trying to save us from using something that might be useful, so they can do it their way. Ya gotta love it!
    I think I'll give VLC a try and see how that works out.
    Thanks for all the suggestions and help out there!

rstew