Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

DacEasy Instant Rolodex workaround for Win7?

I have many years worth of contacts on an old program: DacEasy Instant Rolodex on a WinXP machine. I'm so used to this program and have a lot of data on it. Unfortunately it will not run on my newer machine running Win7Pro. I've tried all kinds of exporting to no avail. No current program seems to accept the date as DacEasyRolodex has it laid out. DacEasy has since gone through a few corporate changes and has not manufactured or supported the program for many years.

Does anyone know a work around that would allow me to run this program on my newer machine or actually get all the date out to a newer program? Any suggestions for a new rolodex program?

Running Win7 Pro on a HP Envy PC.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk114 View Post
    I have many years worth of contacts on an old program: DacEasy Instant Rolodex on a WinXP machine. I'm so used to this program and have a lot of data on it. Unfortunately it will not run on my newer machine running Win7Pro. I've tried all kinds of exporting to no avail. No current program seems to accept the date as DacEasyRolodex has it laid out. DacEasy has since gone through a few corporate changes and has not manufactured or supported the program for many years.

Does anyone know a work around that would allow me to run this program on my newer machine or actually get all the date out to a newer program? Any suggestions for a new rolodex program?

Running Win7 Pro on a HP Envy PC.
    If the program won't install try right-clicking the installer then left-click "Run as Administrator".

If the program installs but won't run try running the program in "Compatability Mode". Right-click the program's shortcut or exe file then left-click "Properties", then adjust the settings under the "Compatability" tab.
    Compatability.jpg
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Hawk114 (2015-01-08)

Thanks
    If Coochin's suggestions above don't work you could try XP Mode

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

Hawk114 (2015-01-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    If the program won't install try right-clicking the installer then left-click "Run as Administrator".

If the program installs but won't run try running the program in "Compatability Mode". Right-click the program's shortcut or exe file then left-click "Properties", then adjust the settings under the "Compatability" tab.
    Compatability.jpg
    Thank you for the suggestion, Coochin. Unfortunately this is an old old program that did not have an installer. Only an exe file if memory serves me correctly. I did the run as admin thing and I set the compatibility mode for XP but still all I get is the error message that it is not compatible with Win7.

I think I'm hosed on this one and will have to start over with a new program and manually enter all the data.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Browni. I tried your suggestion but first I had to run the HAV tool to see if visualization is available on my machine. Unfortunately another error message: hardware assisted visualization is not enabled on this computer. It then says something about changing the BIOS. That's well beyond my "pay grade". I was warned not to mess with the BIOS.

Thanks
    ...I think I'm hosed on this one and will have to start over with a new program and manually enter all the data...
    If you have MS Excel on your old XP PC you could build a spreadsheet by copy/pasting the fields' data from the old program.

Otherwise you could copy/paste the fields' data from the old program into Notepad (you would need to use commas to separate the fields, separate line for each contact).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Hawk114 (2015-01-09)

Thanks
    Does it not have an export function somewhere? If so you could make life a bit easier for yourself. I suspect it doesn't though as you would have seen it.

Off topic: Just Googled for it and got a few hits on old PC mags from the early 90s. Some of the other adverts make interesting reading! Office 4 for anyone?
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2015-01-09 at 05:40. Reason: Off topic added

11. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Hawk114 (2015-01-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It does have an export function which I tried using. I can create the export files okay but they don't seem to be compatible with any other program I try to enter them into. It comes out a jumble. Thanks for the suggestion just the same.

Yes, it really is a very old program. Sorry to see it fall by the wayside. It's simple and works.....specially for a computer illiterate such as myself.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you've nailed it. That might very well work except for one unfortunate thing...me...it's beyond my limited ability. I got lost trying to follow something called "comma delimited" instructions. Clearly I'm in over my head on this one.

Thanks
    I wonder if it would run in Dosbox?

Does take a little setting up but may be worth it.
    Last edited by Browni; 2015-01-09 at 06:30.

Thanks
    I think you've nailed it. That might very well work except for one unfortunate thing...me...it's beyond my limited ability. I got lost trying to follow something called "comma delimited" instructions. Clearly I'm in over my head on this one.
    This is probably easier than you think. If it exports as a csv file (comma separated values), e.g. export.csv, you will be able to open it with Excel or other similar spreadsheets. Or you will be able to import it into any new software you may have. We can probably help if you upload a sample of what it produces (names changed to protect the innocent) and what you want to import it into.

Perhaps telling us what the instructions are, we can also help.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Hawk114 (2015-01-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will take you up on that and be glad to have the help. I'm out of here shortly but will do some screenshots and try to post them over the weekend. I appreciate the willingness of all of you to help me.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have an old address book program (from parson's technology). When I got a new computer, I added my old hard drive as a second drive. This has allowed the old program to continue running on my windows 7 computer. (it did run ok on the old xp computer). I don't remember if the old drive was SATA, or if I had to add ide to SATA adaptors. So this would only be for technically inclined people.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    @dalejanus,

It appears that the original poster has a 64-bit version of Windows 7 and that the DacEasy program is 16-bit. Otherwise, if his version of Windows 7 was 32-bit it is highly likely the old program would work fine. It has nothing to do with having the old disk drive available. You just got lucky the new operating system (which you do not name) still supports the bittedness of the old programs.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using windows 7 64 bit. Maybe I did just get lucky. Such an old program does not have registry entries, but may require certain DLLs in certain places. That is what I guessed kept working by having the entire old drive available.
    One of these days I'll copy the entire folder to the windows 7 drive and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    @dalejanus,

It appears that the original poster has a 64-bit version of Windows 7 and that the DacEasy program is 16-bit. Otherwise, if his version of Windows 7 was 32-bit it is highly likely the old program would work fine. It has nothing to do with having the old disk drive available. You just got lucky the new operating system (which you do not name) still supports the bittedness of the old programs.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast