Star Lounger
    Thanks

Set up accounts on new Windows 8.1 computer

I am sure these questions have been asked before, but the search function on this lounge could use improvement. Would be good to be able to limit a search to a particular forum.

I made big mistakes in setting up accounts on my husband's 8.1 computer and there is apparently no easy way to go back. I ordered a new 8.1 computer for my nephew and want to do better.

Both the new computer and my husband's are single-person computers. if I install a printer or a program, I want the user to be able to use it (this is the part I messed up on my husband's system, in the process of trying to separate user and administrative accounts so he wouldn't toast things when he wandered astray).

I understand that there are local and Microsoft accounts, and user and administrative accounts. I have read that some users use local accounts to keep Microsoft from looking over their shoulder, and that Microsoft accounts are required to use the store and etc. The new computer will come with Office 2013 which will need to be installed, and I assume that registering it will require a Microsoft account.

I read this, which seems reasonable but I don't understand the last part:

When creating users for your personal computing device. Create two users at first.One is the administrator which is MS linked and the other is the local account"Public user" that is not MS linked. Log in under the public profile you created to do your normal stuff. Anytime you need to install a program from the store, you can do that under the Admin account (Right click and click run as admin) and make that program available to the guest user.

That is what I intended to do on my husband's computer, but the printer and etc. that I installed as an administrator are not available to him. How do I "make that program available to the guest user?" Or, am I looking at this in a wrong way and can someone offer better advice? Apparently I need advice step-by-step.

Thank you!

Thanks
    On a new Windows PC, the first account you setup will be a member of the Administrators group, so don't give it the name that you want for the everyday user. I always use Admin for this account. Use this account only far enough to get the computer running windows and setup the basic functions, and to add the account for the everyday user.

Then logoff the Admin account, and log on as the standard user. Don't install anything from the Admin account unless the application installation routine says specifically that you must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to install. For all other applications, right-click the setup file and select Run as administrator, and then use the Admin account password to get past UAC. I always run as a standard user, except for the aforementioned circumstances.

As for the Microsoft account, that is only necessary, as you said, to use the Store. You can setup everything else on the PC without the need for a Microsoft account. If you already have a Microsoft account, such as a Hotmail or Windows Live mail or Outlook.com email account, you can use this instead. If you have a Microsoft Community account, that will also work. You don't need a specific Microsoft account setup just for the PC.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Judy M (2015-01-11)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy M View Post
    Would be good to be able to limit a search to a particular forum.
    You can. The last time you mentioned it, I answered:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    You can search just the Windows 8 Forum instead of all forums; go to the Windows 8 Forum and click Search Forum a bit further down than the general or advanced search.
    But you can also do it from Advanced Search, Search Single Content Type tab, Search in Forum(s):

Thanks
    Be aware there is a trap for the unwary with using a Microsoft account in Win8.1. Earlier this week I attended a customer who was unable to log in to Windows because the password he had entered when he initially set up the account was not recognised by the MS webserver. The customer had phoned Microsoft Support for a password reset but was no better off.

I was able to log in to the customer's MS account from my laptop and arranged for a password reset link to be emailed to one of my email accounts, after which I was able to resolve the customer's "unable to log in" problem.

A further problem with using a MS account login with Win8.1 is that it requires an active Internet connection; no Internet connection then no login to Windows.

I set up a "local" user account for the customer, copied his files across, and set up his email account in the new account so he should not have the same problem in future.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    A further problem with using a MS account login with Win8.1 is that it requires an active Internet connection; no Internet connection then no login to Windows.
    Not true. I just disabled my internet connection, rebooted and I was able to log into my PC using a Windows account with no problem.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Not true. I just disabled my internet connection, rebooted and I was able to log into my PC using a Windows account with no problem.

Jerry
    By "Microsoft account" in my #4 post I meant the account type that Win8/8.1 setup "encourages" users to create when first setting up a new Windows installation. The user is asked to create a "LiveID" using an email address as username.

There is also a less-obvious link that allows the user to create a "local account" which does not require an active Internet connection to log in to Windows.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    That's the one I used. It uses an Outlook.com email address as a userid. I can see where you might not be able to set it up initially without internet access but once its setup, You can log into Windows without internet access.

Jerry

Thanks
    That's the one I used. It uses an Outlook.com email address as a userid. I can see where you might not be able to set it up initially without internet access but once its setup, You can log into Windows without internet access.

Jerry
    The customer used an optusnet.com.au email address to set up the Microsoft account (not that that should make any difference).

I have worked on quite a few Win8.1 computers before this one when I was able to log in to the customers' Windows using a Microsoft account without having an active Internet connection. But this laptop refused to log in to the Microsoft account without an Internet connection.

Thanks
    I have heard of some issues in using a non Microsoft email address for the Microsoft Account login. Perhaps there was an issue with the two step account verification?

Jerry

Thanks
    I have heard of some issues in using a non Microsoft email address for the Microsoft Account login. Perhaps there was an issue with the two step account verification?...
    Possibly. The laptop is a Toshiba, so the customer would have had to set up the account during first use (I understood from the customer that was about a year ago). Nevertheless, if M$ doesn't like third-party email addresses for their Win8 "Microsoft Account" login they could say so on that screen.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, bbearren, i think one thing that tripped me up was the "difference" between Run as Administrator and "member of the administrative group."

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, BruceR, I have now stuck the "Search Thread" type in my mind. Your second suggestion seems to let me limit a search to forums, but not a specific thread/forum.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can search a specific forum from just below the title bar of that forum ("Search Forum") or from Advanced Search, Search Single Content Type tab ("Search in Forum(s)").
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-01-11 at 15:45.

Thanks
    As far as a "Microsoft account", any account that is established with anything Microsoft will do. I have had an account with Microsoft Communities for several years, which has nothing to do with any type of Microsoft email, and it works for the Store without problem. It's a "Microsoft account".
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows