New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 send issues and how to set international times for calendar events

Hi -

I have 2 questions:

1. Outlook 2010 frequently stops sending emails. I cannot account for why. The messages will sit in the Outbox. In order to get Outlook to release the files, I have to shutdown and reboot. This started happening about in early December. I usually have to reboot 3-4 times a day to get the message to release and send. I wonder if my .PST file is too big. It's about 27 GB.

2. How do I create a Calendar event so that the times appear correctly for each person's time zone? I'm in EST; I set up events for 2-3 other time zones. How can I ensure that the meeting invite appears in the right time zone for their timezone?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    1. Outlook 2003 and 2007 had a default max of 20GB, Outlook 2010 has a default max of 50GB [probably 2013 also]. Might check this and cleanup the .pst and .ost files:
    https://support.office.com/en-nz/art...ad=NZ&fromAR=1

2. No solution but the situation helps explain why Maritime and Aviation use GMT [Greenwich Mean Time or Coordinated Universal Time] as a time reference, their activities will cross several time zones in a day or trip. Time zones are generally 1 hour for each 15 of Longitude with adjustments for political or economical needs.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick feedback. I had a feeling it might be the size of my .PST file - 16GB. However, that's not even half of the 50GB limit.....

Thanks to for the calendar response. Very helpful.

-Mike

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked the help regarding the timezone issues. Both Outlook and Windows support timezones so lack of software support shouldn't be a problem.

The following article briefly touches on the matter. Apparently you have to tell Outlook, at the time of the meeting booking, what timezone you are booking relative to.

http://support.office.microsoft.com/...OOK&Version=14

If you do this, as I did, the meeting window changes very slightly to include 2 timezone fields. One each for the meeting Start and End times.

Here's what that looks like:

Timezone Meeting Test.jpg

I suppose you could argue that Outlook should do this automatically. After all both the meeting sender and all recipients should know their timezones. It makes sense for the meeting organizer to do this relative to their timezone and then all recipients adjust for their local timezone. However this appears to be a workable solution; you just have to remember to do it each time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks BHarder -- but I had read this Help in Outlook. Unfortunately, it does not solve my problem - or at least as I understand it, it does not. When I send out a meeting request to staff who live in other different time zones, I want to ensure that the meeting time I set in my timezone syncs up with their timezone. And I've had staff tell me that when I set a meeting for 7:00 am in my timezone, the meeting reminder incorrectly alerts them at 7:00 am in their timezone, rather than 12:00, 1:00 pm their time.

-Mike

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think it should just work if they have their timezone set correctly:

Meeting Times not correct in Outlook 2010

Outlook's Appointments and Time Zones

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    All internal dates are UTC and should be adjusted visually for the time zone of each user. Bruce is correct that they should work if the remote users have their timezones set correctly.

Joe