Star Lounger
    Thanks

Samsung Ultrabook Series 5 13.3" will not detect external HDD

My Ultrabook has returned after having the motherboard replaced. I intended to restore a True Image 2014 image which was made one month ago. I booted up the machine and connected the Welland Enclosure containing the 320GB HDD containing the image. Nothing appeared in the File Manager, Disc Management or in the SysTray. I rebooted but just the same. How do I get Windows 8.1 to detect my external HDD?

Win 8.1, 250GB SSD, 2 TB internal drive 'D' ,NTFS and 8gb RAM

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Either your new mobo has dead USB ports or your disk has gone to god. Can you test the disk on another machine?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have discovered that my external USB 3.0 enclosure is only detected when it is plugged in to a USB 2.0 port. Very odd.

Peter

Thanks
    I've found you need a short USB cable that may have come with your drive to get an external USB 3 drive to connect to a USB 3 port in some cases.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Afraid not Jerry. I was using a very short one. I am on the point of giving up trying to image this laptop, it is my wife's and I get nothing but grief if it is not working. A USB 2.0 connection takes approximately 2.5 hours to image 70GB. Too slow.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Creating an image is never too slow IMO. It will save you days when you need to recover the PC.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have discovered the problem is with the Welland enclosure, I tried a more modern Welland enclosure and it worked.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pledden View Post
    I have discovered the problem is with the Welland enclosure, I tried a more modern Welland enclosure and it worked.
    Thanks for the update.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows