Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

New monitor: Buy or wait?

I have been itching to move to a good 27" IPS type monitor. However, I have seen the new ultra HD monitors and love the resolution. Since I usually keep a monitor for at least 4 years, I am conflicted on whether to get the very good IPS monitor now or wait until the UHD monitors come down in price. Anyone have a prognostication on when prices might be coming down? I have heard that it should be soon, but how long is "Soon"? Also when they come down so will the IPS monitors. Any opinions?

Thanks
    It depends in part on what you are doing with it too.
    Ultra high def and all the bells and whistles that go with it aren't much use if all you do is surf the internet.

If your current monitor is in good working order you'll have plenty of time to do the needed research.
    It also depends on what you consider pricy. You'll need to establish a budget, but in order to effectively do that, you'll need to do some research.

If your current monitor is just not cutting it, then there will always be deals to be had on decent monitors, but the
    state of the art, cutting edge tech will always be priced higher, at least for a year after coming out.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

billrice (2015-01-09)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again Clint.
    You are, of course, right. I only do office and internet and some photo work, but I am getting older and I was wowed by how clear the 4K was, so I thought it might be worth it. However, going from a 22" to a 27" should also be a lot more readable, so the rational thing to do is go with the IPS. My budget is between $200 and $300, and I don't really want to wait too long anyway. So, unless big changes were coming really soon, IPS now makes sense. (I really knew that but needed someone to convince me to accept it.)
    Thanks.
    Last edited by billrice; 2015-01-09 at 19:13. Reason: grammar

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billrice View Post
    Hello again Clint.
    You are, of course, right. I only do office and internet and some photo work, but I am getting older and I was wowed by how clear the 4K was, so I thought it might be worth it. However, going from a 22" to a 27" should also be a lot more readable, so the rational thing to do is go with the IPS. My budget is between $200 and $300, and I don't really want to wait too long anyway. So, unless big changes were coming really soon, IPS now makes sense. (I really knew that but needed someone to convince me to accept it.)
    Thanks.
    You should also be aware that in a 27" 4K monitor, text will be smaller than in a 27" with a smaller resolution, which may actually hinder text readability... unless you use scaling, but not all apps will behave nicely. For example, see this:

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-secret-pr...isplay-scaling
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I find the 'native' resolution of larger monitors don't always help older eyes. I have a 21.5" Touchscreen monitor that gives be the best view at 1440x900 instead of the suggested/recommended 1920x1080 pixels or any setting between. And it works with all 4 computers connecting to it through a KVM switch.

Thanks
    I too find the native res on my 27" IPS too hard to read at the distance I use it at (slumping back in my tilting chair). I have never found a fool proof way to juggle text sizes and what not. Trial and error and error and error ....
    And note : with out GPU support a 4K movie is a no go.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Did you try Control Panel > Display > Change only Text Size? This is on Windows 8. Should be there for Windows 7 but don't have a copy to check right now.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2015-01-11 at 12:31.

Thanks
    In windows it is a bit easier. In Linux (not my main os) it is, like most things in Linux, a pain in the butt.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the help. I have ordered an 28" IPS monitor on a great sale. I will play with the resolution as suggested, as well as the text size and Clear Text set-up. I think just by the fact that it will have the same resolution as my 22" the text will be substantially larger.

Thanks
    I think just by the fact that it will have the same resolution as my 22" the text will be substantially larger.

Yes, it should be. Enjoy!

David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing I look at is the Start button/Windows Orb on Win, if it appears perfectly round the resolution ratio is set appropriately. The CRT and CRT Flat Screen monitors used a 4:3 ratio and the LCD Flat Panel use either 16:9 or 16:10 ratio.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guys,

New question about installation of the new monitor. I thought I would be able to find the answer at the AMD website but no luck with the search.

When I replace my old monitor with the new one, do I have to uninstall the AMD Catalyste drive and re-install it? I version 14.12 currently installed on a Radeon HD 7770. I have it set to search for the monitor type each time it opens.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billrice View Post
    ...When I replace my old monitor with the new one, do I have to uninstall the AMD Catalyste drive and re-install it?...
    The AMD Catalyst driver you have should detect the new monitor and install it, but it is best to shut Windows down before you connect the new monitor.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

billrice (2015-01-13)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    One thing I look at is the Start button/Windows Orb on Win, if it appears perfectly round the resolution ratio is set appropriately. The CRT and CRT Flat Screen monitors used a 4:3 ratio and the LCD Flat Panel use either 16:9 or 16:10 ratio.
    Not always the case. The LCD monitor I'm looking at right now is 4:3. Photo
    Last edited by tonyl; 2015-01-13 at 07:10.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great tip. Thanks for that, ruirib. I'd been toying with splurging on a new 4K but it looks like that will be for movies rather than computing.
    Last edited by DavidFB; 2015-01-14 at 23:07. Reason: didn't quote. Added their name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast