Thanks

Intellimouse Explorer 2.0

Well its finally happening, what I should have had more of a dread of: My MS Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 is fading. The right mouse switch is failing, I have made accommodations by re programming the wheel switch to function as right switch but I know the writing is on the wall. My wonderful, fits my hand perfectly mouse is on the way out. Should not be a problem right? Ha! no luck so far. MicroSoft no longer makes them and what they do offer is small or made for looks not function. One looks like an arch, who's hand could that fit ?? I could buy a used one on Ebay for a bill but that would be a last resort. Logitech may come close with is hundred dollar mouse, but really $100 ???
    Do any of you big handed folk have any ideas on this??
    Besides the fits a big hand req. : aux thumb buttons that can be set to minimize all windows and switch windows, Wireless, rocking thumb wheel.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Well its finally happening, what I should have had more of a dread of: My MS Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 is fading. The right mouse switch is failing, I have made accommodations by re programming the wheel switch to function as right switch but I know the writing is on the wall. My wonderful, fits my hand perfectly mouse is on the way out. Should not be a problem right? Ha! no luck so far. MicroSoft no longer makes them and what they do offer is small or made for looks not function. One looks like an arch, who's hand could that fit ?? I could buy a used one on Ebay for a bill but that would be a last resort. Logitech may come close with is hundred dollar mouse, but really $100 ???
    Do any of you big handed folk have any ideas on this??
    Besides the fits a big hand req. : aux thumb buttons that can be set to minimize all windows and switch windows, Wireless, rocking thumb wheel.

A little more than a year ago I had the same problem. My Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 mouse was failing, in that the right-click button was becoming less-than-reliable. Too often I would right-click on something and either nothing would happen or it was as if I had left-clicked.
    I replaced the Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 wired mouse with a MS "Wireless Mouse 2000" model 1416. This has much the same "feel" as the Intellimouse Explorer 2.0, but without the wire. So far it is working well for me.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Coochin

Thanks for the response but aside from MS not seeming to sell these anymore it does not have a tilt wheel and (no offense intended) appears to be a stubby little thing and not hand shaped. I may end up buying a used one , maybe a broken one and try surgery
    Just got my hot glue gun back thankfully
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Coochin

Thanks for the response but aside from MS not seeming to sell these anymore it does not have a tilt wheel and (no offense intended) appears to be a stubby little thing and not hand shaped. I may end up buying a used one , maybe a broken one and try surgery
    Just got my hot glue gun back thankfully
    I also have large (ish) hands. The M$ wireless mouse in my #2 post is only a little smaller than the Intellimouse Explorer 2/3, and I find it a comfortable fit to my hand. It does not have forward/back buttons but I seldom used those anyhow.

Not sure about the "tilt wheel" thing; it is listed in Control Panel\Mouse\Wheel as in below screenshot, but I never use that anyhow (I work on too many customers' computers so am in the habit of using just left button/right button/scroll wheel - often custs' mice are those dinky little "laptop" models which don't fit my hand at all).
    Mouse.jpg

I also have two M$ "Comfort Optical Mouse 1000", one of which I carry around in my work bag, the other I use when working on customers' computers on my workbench. I also have one M$ "Comfort Optical Mouse 3000" which is connected to one of my workbench PCs. These are full-size USB wired mice, which can also be connected using a PS2 adapter.

Since way back in the days of Win3.1/95/98 I have preferred M$ mice/keyboards over other brands because I have found the M$ products to be more reliable. Nevertheless I have noticed that many customers have had good service from Logitech mice and keyboards.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks

I may not be using the correct name but a tilt wheel allows side to side movement. If for instance I enlarged this page so much that a scroll bar appears at the bottom I can use the tilt wheel to move the page side to side.
    I will try to get some hands on at BestBuy before I do anything rash
    And I will try not to yammer too much about MS having abandoned another wonderful product

David

Thanks
    Well got out early enough to check out Best Buy, no love there. Best of the crop is a logitec MX. Roads weren't too bad so had time to try Staples, no love there either and the MX was 50% more. Gotta get down to MicroCenter one of these days. I seem to recall they had a fair selection.
    David