Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't remove icon from desktop

I am running Win 8.1. I recently installed a program (Bears DeskSite) and in doing so, an icon was created on my desk top. The program wasn't what I was expecting, so I deleted it. However, the icon for this program remains on my desktop and I cannot remove it. I have searched for references to the icon using things like Windows Explorer and some search utilities and cannot find the icon name any where. How can I get the icon off my desktop? This problem is not critical, but is irritating.
    Thanks,
    Mike Rapp

Thanks
    What happens when you right click on the icon and select Delete?

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry!
    It doesn't matter if I right click on the icon and try to delete it that way. Don't I wish! I get a message asking whether I want to "uninstall" the product. When I indicate that I do, I get a message stating that the action is only good for products that are installed. That makes some sort of sense because I already uninstalled the program. It's the icon (shortcut) on the desktop that remains. Also, if I try dragging the icon to the Recycle Bin (using either right or left button) the icon will not stay there. I even tried re-installing the program and uninstalling it using the uninstall option on the shortcut and no dice. The program is deleted, but the icon remains. Any hints? Thanks,
    Mike Rapp

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRapp View Post
    ...Any hints?...
    Click (once only) on the shortcut to select (highlight) it, press and hold down the "Shift" key on your keyboard, then press the "Delete" key. You should see a prompt "Do you want to permanently delete..." click OK (or Yes).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @Coochin's suggestion was going to be mine. If his doesn't work try the following (May be a bit complex)

Delete through Elevated Cmd
    1) Win+R, Type Cmd, Hit Enter.
    2)Once the window opens type the following: "runas /user:%username% cmd.exe" (Type in a password if asked. It wont appear on screen but type it anyway and hit enter.
    3)Type "cd %userprofile%\Desktop" Hit Enter.
    4)Type "Dir" and hit enter. Note whether or not the name of the icon appears in the following list. If so continue steps.
    5)Type "Del "G*"" Hit Enter. (The letter G in this case should be replaced with first few letters of the icon in question.)

I hope this method works. If not try rebooting the computer and retry the steps of previous options.
    Let us know if it helps.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by th0s View Post
    Delete through Elevated Cmd
    "runas /user:%username% cmd.exe"
    I don't see what's elevated about running cmd as yourself.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The icon in question does not appear in the directory list of my desktop after step 4. It looks like this is some sort of "ghost" icon, and I say the hell with it. If this is the only problem with my system, I am willing to live with it.
    Thanks so much for everyone's time and trouble.
    Mike Rapp

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's from http://www.desksite.com/intro.html, but I don't see any support or FAQ there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, Bruce, it looks like I'm doomed to live with that *&^%! icon forever. I'll just slide it down into a corner of my screen and live with it.
    Thanks.
    Mike Rapp

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What's the name of the program involved?

I don't see what's elevated about running cmd as yourself.
    I've noticed in Win7 and Win8.1 there are some things that, even though the User has administrative rights, can't be done unless doing the right-click and Run as administrator bit. I also never see any obvious difference but whatever required it worked.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What if you re-installed the program, then try to delete the icon? That way it might do the un-install then delete the icon.

Thanks
    Install Unlocker . Right click on the icon to be removed. Choose Unlocker and set the option required.

http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

Note. Some AV programs may flag it, but it is safe.

Thanks
    SUPERAntispyware [paid version], EMCO move [& delete] on boot [free version] are just two more options available to get rid of that icon. I've gotten rid of pesky folders & files that way. Best to reboot afterwards, smoother sailing afterwards.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    I've noticed in Win7 and Win8.1 there are some things that, even though the User has administrative rights, can't be done unless doing the right-click and Run as administrator bit. I also never see any obvious difference but whatever required it worked. -- Berton

Berton, I second everything you've said earlier [as quoted above]. I even followed Coochin[?]'s advice about clicking "run as admin" within Properties > Compatability section of each and every important shortcut I have.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    The icon in question does not appear in the directory list of my desktop after step 4. It looks like this is some sort of "ghost" icon
    Is there still an "All Users" Dir in W8 ?? Maybe look there and Unhide in folder options just for kicks for the duration of the process.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast