4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need help creating slide show

I need some help with this problem:

Running Win 7 64 bit SP1.

I have a bunch of JPEGS that I took on a recent trip (about 600 files) that I would like to burn onto a DVD as a slide show to be viewed on a TV.

As a baseline, I burned the JPEGS directly to a DVD (no conversions, just the individual file). I can play the DVD in my Panasonic DVD Recorder as a slide show on my Sony HD TV (with 1080P capability). The DVD was not burned as a slide show, but the DVR Recorder has the capability to read and show each individual photo and play the pictures sequentially as a slide show on my TV. The photos display bright and razor sharp on the TV. I can also save the photos on an SD card that I can put into my DVD Recorder, with the same results (my TV does not have a direct SD card slot).

There are a couple of problems with showing my pictures in this manner:

1. The DVD controls that normally work on a DVD movie (Pause, Play, Fast Forward, Back) don't seem to work for the slide show (I can set the display time for each photo, but the recorder has a mind of its own when it comes to controlling the flow of the show);

2. If I want to take the DVD (or SD card) to another location to show the photos, I can't be sure that there will be a device that can play the show (I want to be able to play it on any standard DVD player).

OK, there seemed to be an obvious solution. I created a movie from the photos using Windows Live Movie Maker, and burned it as a video DVD using Windows DVD Maker. This did allow me to play the slide show as a DVD movie, but the pictures lost significant quality in the process, to the point where I found them almost too blurry to watch.

So, as a test, I used Windows Live Movie Maker to create a .WMV file (a standard Windows movie format that I could play on my computer). This also had poor picture quality.

Finally, I used Windows DVD Maker to create a slide show directly (without using Windows Live Movie Maker).
    Still poor picture quality.

So what am I doing wrong? Are these apps just not capable of performing a high quality conversion of the JPEGS? Is there a better way to accomplish what I want?

In a word, HELP!

Thanks.

Thanks
    You could try the File\Slideshow function in IrfanView

Otherwise you might want to fiddle with the settings in Windows DVD Maker or Windows Live Movie Maker (it is quite possible they are over-compressing the JPEG files, which will reduce image quality).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Coochin, I have used Irfanview Slideshow in the past (I like it), but unless I want to carry a laptop with me everywhere, I don't know how I would use it to create a DVD of the show.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Coochin, here's additional info.

I created a .WMV movie using Windows Live Movie Maker, at the highest resolution settings (for a high-def display). I ran it on my computer, and there's no comparison between the original JPEG and the picture in the movie. The movie pic is noticeably worse than the original.

As for Windows DVD Maker, I could find no settings that address the image quality.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    Coochin, here's additional info.

I created a .WMV movie using Windows Live Movie Maker, at the highest resolution settings (for a high-def display). I ran it on my computer, and there's no comparison between the original JPEG and the picture in the movie. The movie pic is noticeably worse than the original.

As for Windows DVD Maker, I could find no settings that address the image quality.
    From what I have seen of Windows Live Movie Maker/Windows DVD Maker they are fairly basic.

You will probably find that to produce a reasonably high quality DVD you will need to use a good third-party DVD authoring program like Nero Video 2015.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had some success getting a better slideshow image by producing a 1080P video first and then processing that file into DVD format but there is still some degradation of the images because standard DVD dimensions are 720x480 pixels. By contrast, your images are probably a few thousand pixels in each dimension.

Thanks
    I've used Jalbum before to do something similar. It was free (with pay for extras), not sure what their policy is now though.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    there are slide show software programs that should give you total control

Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    I need some help with this problem:

Running Win 7 64 bit SP1.

I have a bunch of JPEGS that I took on a recent trip (about 600 files) that I would like to burn onto a DVD as a slide show to be viewed on a TV.

As a baseline, I burned the JPEGS directly to a DVD (no conversions, just the individual file). I can play the DVD in my Panasonic DVD Recorder as a slide show on my Sony HD TV (with 1080P capability). The DVD was not burned as a slide show, but the DVR Recorder has the capability to read and show each individual photo and play the pictures sequentially as a slide show on my TV. The photos display bright and razor sharp on the TV. I can also save the photos on an SD card that I can put into my DVD Recorder, with the same results (my TV does not have a direct SD card slot).

There are a couple of problems with showing my pictures in this manner:

1. The DVD controls that normally work on a DVD movie (Pause, Play, Fast Forward, Back) don't seem to work for the slide show (I can set the display time for each photo, but the recorder has a mind of its own when it comes to controlling the flow of the show);

2. If I want to take the DVD (or SD card) to another location to show the photos, I can't be sure that there will be a device that can play the show (I want to be able to play it on any standard DVD player).

OK, there seemed to be an obvious solution. I created a movie from the photos using Windows Live Movie Maker, and burned it as a video DVD using Windows DVD Maker. This did allow me to play the slide show as a DVD movie, but the pictures lost significant quality in the process, to the point where I found them almost too blurry to watch.

So, as a test, I used Windows Live Movie Maker to create a .WMV file (a standard Windows movie format that I could play on my computer). This also had poor picture quality.

Finally, I used Windows DVD Maker to create a slide show directly (without using Windows Live Movie Maker).
    Still poor picture quality.

So what am I doing wrong? Are these apps just not capable of performing a high quality conversion of the JPEGS? Is there a better way to accomplish what I want?

In a word, HELP!

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have also tried to get a slideshow on DVD using various programs, including Photodex and others on a PC, and various programs on a Mac. The quality of the images is always degraded in the process of producing a DVD.

Photodex produces a version of a slideshow that runs as a program (.exe) on a PC, but that would require you to take along a laptop to show your slideshow when you're away from home. The original quality of your images is preserved in the resulting slideshow. Of course, you have to buy Photodex to do this. (Another benefit of using Photodex or other slideshow software is that you can add a variety of transitions between your slides and music to your entire slideshow.)

If you have a Blu-ray burner, several multimedia suites and stand-alone programs now allow you to burn your slideshow in HD (1080p). Again, there is the cost of buying the programs needed. The suggestion by F.U.N. downtown includes the production of an HD video, but you would also need Blu-ray authoring and burning software.

I don't know if it's possible with free or low cost software. You may have to spend some money to get the image quality you're looking for from your slideshows. If you plan to produce additional slideshows in the future, it may be worth it to make the investment.
    Last edited by falconmasterusa; 2015-01-15 at 02:10.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by falconmasterusa View Post
    I have also tried to get a slideshow on DVD using various programs, including Photodex and others on a PC, and various programs on a Mac. The quality of the images is always degraded in the process of producing a DVD.
    Photodex produces excellent slideshows, with large numbers of transitions available, the ability to add captions and so on. But I agree that it's not brilliant at creating DVDs. What I do is produce a high res MP4 version of the show, and then burn that to a DVD using either Movavi Video Suite, or Aimersoft Video Converter. The DVD quality from both is pretty good. But neither of these programs is exactly cheap. In the end I suppose you get what you pay (or don't pay for).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am surprised that nobody has suggested Picasa 'Make a Gift CD'
    Perhaps the quality does not suit, but ease of use, titles and portability to all Windows platforms suits me.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Converting Jpeg's to Mpeg's to play as a slideshow has always degraded the resolution too much for me.
    I finally bought ProShow Gold and have never looked back!
    You can author a slideshow as simple or sophisticated as you like preserving the resolution of the original image files.
    You can write the software onto the disc to play the show in a different computer.
    You can convert the show into a movie that plays on a DVD player.
    You can collect the files in the show to a separate folder on the disk to give to someone who wants them as well as the show.
    It creates a backup file every 5 minutes as you work to autosave in case of a system crash.
    It has any number of theme templates and transitions to build your show with.
    There's just no limit to it's capability.
    For someone who does slideshows a lot, I love it!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are never going to get good resolution on a standard DVD, to achieve HD (1080x1920) you will need to create a BluRay disc, which then won't play on the bog-standard DVD players you encounter.

Have you considered buying a tablet with full HD screen and HDMI output, and create the show on that? That will then plug into any modern TV, and for backup where the TV is too old, have a lo-res DVD in your back pocket. A suitable tablet may not be cheap, but will have other uses, after all.