Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing GB fast

Lounger
    Thanks

Losing GB fast

I have Windows 7. My C drive is losing GB unusually fast for some unknown reason. (at least to me). Over the past 2 1/2 months I've lost over 70GB from my C drive. More recently I've lost 25GB over the last 2 weeks. I have no idea were they are going. I have not added anything to the computer. In fact I have hardly used it.. I could use some help in either locating what it is that is using this space and how to correct. I need to find a way to stop this. I've had this computer for about 3-4 years and have never experienced this problem before. Any help would be appreciated. I've performed a disc clean up using Windows and regained 9GB but the very next day they were gone again. Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Get something like Space Sniffer and see how your GBs are being used.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Do you have System Restore Points being made automatically? These can add to the total GB being used, but, by no means the main or only "eater" of HD space.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I posted this thread I've lost another 6GB of space. I downloaded windirstat but am having trouble understanding how to read or navigate thru it. I'm not very good at this tech stuff!

Thanks
    Try Nir Sofer's FoldersReport and point it the hard disk root, i.e. C:. It will show you the current size of files/folders and let you sort on size.

To see what's actually changing, try Nir Sofer's FolderChangesView. It will show you immediately what files are changing, i.e. being created or growing in size.

They are both free, small, portable apps so no need to install.

Hope this helps...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2015-01-13)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I like Treesize free for spotting space hogs.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanks, Rick & Paul, have added your mentioned toys to my rollerstollerNORAD collection.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i religiously, do do a disk cleanup every Saturday morning.
    i noticed that when i include the "clean system files", the space recovered is larger.
    hope this helps.
    good luck.

Lounger
    Thanks
    check your pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys. if you have hibernation enabled that can eat HD space also your virtual memory if managed by windows absolutely eats space. depending how much "real memory you have, you can set the minimum and maximum size to 2 gigabytes and stop the virtual memory eating space!

Thanks
    Hmmm... I have to agree with Lazerbiz about hiberfil.sys. I found this multi-Gb file on my main PC recently and I know for a fact that I've never enabled 'Hibernation'. I had to go through the power options with a fine tooth comb then run powercfg -h off from an elevated CMD to get rid of it.

PS - This is for Windows 7. For Windows 8 users (ooh... some of the forum's smilies are really tempting here ), have a look at Hiberfil.sys in Windows 8 and Why You Should Never Disable Hibernation To Delete It.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Hmmm... I have to agree with Lazerbiz about hiberfil.sys. I found this multi-Gb file on my main PC recently and I know for a fact that I've never enabled 'Hibernation'. I had to go through the power options with a fine tooth comb then run powercfg -h off from an elevated CMD to get rid of it.

PS - This is for Windows 7. For Windows 8 users (ooh... some of the forum's smilies are really tempting here ), have a look at Hiberfil.sys in Windows 8 and Why You Should Never Disable Hibernation To Delete It.
    Having no need or desire to use Fastboot (I don't turn my desktop off), I got rid of hiberfil.sys shortly after I upgraded to Windows 8. I still have it on my laptop, since I do use hibernation on it, but I've disabled Fastboot, since I never turn the laptop off, and only reboot for the Windows 7 side of my dual boot.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren
    Having no need or desire to use Fastboot (I don't turn my desktop off), I got rid of hiberfil.sys shortly after I upgraded to Windows 8. I still have it on my laptop, since I do use hibernation on it, but I've disabled Fastboot, since I never turn the laptop off, and only reboot for the Windows 7 side of my dual boot.
    My experience was similar but ended up differently. Like you, I don't turn my desktop off either. When I 'upgraded' to Windows 8 I spent several hours exploring only to revert back to Windows 7 by wiping the HD and re-installing Win 7 from scratch (yes, I know... long, boring story about not relying on system image backups without testing that they actually work )

I never, ever use Hibernation on a PC... yet somehow the hiberfil.sys file appeared just recently. I blame Tinkerbell...

As a result I cannot tell whether the article I referenced re: Win 8 was useful or not.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-01-15 at 13:57.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar issue about a year ago. My PC was running more and more slowly. When I looked at the C: drive I was down from about 100 GB of free space to around 4GB free space. Huh?

I used SpaceSniffer as Ruirib suggested, and identified a huge block of album cover art that had begun duplicating itself.

Long story short, I had somehow turned on network sharing for Windows Media Player, (which is odd, because I seldom use WMP) and it was building a database of all the cover art for the .mp3s on my hard drive. I shut the network sharing down and was able to delete the duplicate files.

And for best results, run SpaceSniffer as admin.

From the MS forums: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...9-be8fc18ebea8

Lounger
    Thanks
    I appreciate your replies, I really do, but I have no idea where or what my virtual memory, hiberfil.sys, or pagefile.sys is or where to find them on my pc. I'm just not that guy. Is there any way you all can make this any simpler for me?? Thank you.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: "I'm just not that guy."

Well, I am that guy! However I will resist my standard urge to start explaining about the virtual memory and so forth. My concern right now is, I don't think you want to become "that guy." It sounds to me like you have a problem, you want it gone, and you don't want to be troubled with the details. Am I right on this?

If so then you have come to the wrong place. Seriously, just dig up a tech pro somewhere and have them fix it for you. Take your computer into a shop, or get someone to come over to you. Either way, unless you're willing to dig a little on your own, this conversation needs to close with the following advice: Get the help you really want.

Might the easy route cost a few bucks? Of course. Convenience frequently comes at the cost of some money. That's life.

The Windows Secrets site is more of a DIY outfit. With the idea that some effort saves the cash and has educational rewards to boot.

I say this not to be a jerk, but to respond to your comments. If we aren't meeting your needs then one or both of has to change our approach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast