Thanks

Office 2003 to Office 365/2013

I'm thinking about upgrading my Office 2003 Pro. My wife and I currently both have Office 2003 pro, hers is on her laptop with Win 7 and mine on my desktop with Win 8.1 . She mainly uses Word, I use Word, Excel and Access. So my question is - what are the pros and cons of upgrading to either Office 365 or 2013 (obviously the latter would be Pro for me and Home for her)?

I've heard that once you installed 2013 on a PC, you can't transfer it to another PC (e.g. when you get a new PC). Is this true?

How easy is it to convert Access 2003 databases to Access 365/2013? I have a number of databases, some with VBA scripts, which I wouldn't want to lose the functionality of - in my mind 2003 is brilliant.

As a final request, I've no objection to opinions which say "I don't like X because of Y" or "I love Z because of Q" but please no "X is rubbish" or "Y is brilliant " comments. I want to know why you think the way you do.

Tks in antic

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    I recommend Office 365 Home. For what I think is a reasonable monthly amount you get up to 5 copies of the Office desktop programs to install on PCs or Macs plus tablets. You also get unlimited OneDrive storage (at least in the USA).

I'm not conversant enough in Access to give you good advice about converting databases.

With the Office 365 versions of the Office 2013 Pro Plus suite you'll use click-to-run technology to install and update the Office desktop programs. These use a virtualization technology. You should be able to easily install them side-by-side with Office 2003. That should ease your transition to Office 2013 if you don't want to dive right in the deep end of the pool. The transition to using the Ribbon will take some getting used to but I think it is well worth the effort. I've come to appreciate the ribbon. If you have highly customized the menu systems of the various 2003 apps the adjustment will be a little longer.

I think one of the biggest benefits of the Office 365 subscription is that you get new features and some fixes before they are released to the .MSI versions. Some people may not want new features quickly but getting as many fixes as quickly as possible is a good thing.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would agree with Joe. The price of your single installation copy (Pro) is the equivalent of around 5 years of Office 365 Home, add the Home and Business and you get around 8 years of Office 365 paid (US prices I guess the UK ones will be equivalent). With Office 365 you get 1 TB OneDrive for each of the 5 accounts and 60 Skype free minutes a month. That alone, makes it worthwhile.

As to the Access conversion, I am no longer a regular Access user as I used to be, but my last app (programmed in Access 2007) seems to work fine without changes. I wouldn't rule an occasional issue, but likely you will be able to overcome it without such a big effort. Some stuff on the net seems to indicate migrations usually go smoothly, although there seem to be some security related changes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    My girlfriend and I both went from Office 2003 Pro to Office 2013 Home & Student ( it has everything except outlook which neither of us use anyway ). We don't use access but 2003 excel and word files were no problem. As was mentioned by JoeP517, the learning curve to the Ribbon was a bit rough but there are plenty of help articles on the net so I kinda like it now.
    As to your question " I've heard that once you installed 2013 on a PC, you can't transfer it to another PC (e.g. when you get a new PC). Is this true? " I found this:
    Microsoft yesterday confirmed that a retail copy of Office 2013 is permanently tied to the first PC on which it's installed, preventing customers from deleting the suite from one machine they own and installing it on another.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post

I've heard that once you installed 2013 on a PC, you can't transfer it to another PC (e.g. when you get a new PC). Is this true?...
    See Microsoft Software License Agreement MICROSOFT OFFICE 2013 DESKTOP APPLICATION SOFTWARE

From the section titled "Can I transfer or reassign the software to another user or computer?":

You may not transfer the software to another user. You may transfer the software directly to a third party only as installed on the licensed computer, with the Certificate of Authenticity label and this agreement. Before the transfer, that party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. You may not retain any copies. You may reassign this software license to a different computer any number of times, but not more than one time every 90 days. If you reassign, that other computer becomes the “licensed computer.” If you retire the licensed computer due to hardware failure, you may reassign the license sooner.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also in the EULA for the Retail version is a statement about installing on a Workstation and a Portable Device in the control of the same person [in my house that could be the same]. I've never had a problem doing it on a Desktop and a Notebook or 2 Notebooks, one was used as a Desktop. If I was buying Office 2013 I'd use the same version on both machines, can assure continued use if one goes down. Having all applications from the suite installed doesn't automatically require using any or all of them.

Thanks
    OK, thanks all, this is very interesting. I think I'll go for Office 365 (which was my choice actually) but just wanted to know if there was any overriding reason to go with O2013. I'm hoping to replace both my desktop and my wife's laptop in the near future, so O365 will be easier in that scenario.

It's good I can keep my Access 2003 databases alongside O365 - I'm looking forward to the challenge of the change!

I won't be changing my moniker to access-accdb though

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    ...I won't be changing my moniker to access-accdb though...
    Sorry mate, you lost me there. Why change your moniker?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Simple really Coochin, I love Access, the file type for Access is mdb, my initials are MDB, so I won't be changing (even if I come to love Access 365)

Oh, and I know that you can still have mdb as a file type anyway. Just call it pommie humour.....

My favourite Dilberts are http://www.dilbert.com/strip/1996-02-27 and http://www.dilbert.com/strip/1996-02-28, suits me to a t