Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Recommend screen-snipping tool?

I have a netbook with Windows 7 Starter Edition. This does not have the Windows 7 Snipping Tool, which I often need.

Can anyone recommend a low cost, light weight snipping tool that I could install? I don't need fancy features (like SnagIt has): just the ability to snip a rectangular region of the screen would fill my needs.

Thanks,

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This is apparently a free snipping tool lookalike: Capture Screenshot lite

Bruce

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

chambless (2015-01-18)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Irfanview has a nice capture feature.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

chambless (2015-01-18),stanhutchings (2015-01-22)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ashampoo Snap 7 is a capture program with a ‘regular price’ of $20, which I can get today (as a returning customer) for $4. Once you buy anything from them that gets you on their list, as I have, all manner of deals turn up from time to time. If you don’t mind some ads in your mail, some of the deals are indeed good. They have ‘their’ Office 2012 right now for $4.99, which has a ‘regular price’ of $60. It is actually SoftMaker Office, which is among the lesser-known alternatives to Microsoft Office, and it can be installed on a flash drive for portability. I have both products, but pricing is interesting, and presumably calculated to keep you coming back for more (until you’ve bought everything in the store).

FastStone Capture is the other major program I have, and it is shareware. I recommend this, and I suggest you give it (or their other products) a try. You might find that you are shooting too low in wanting something simple, and that the added features are worth having once you learn to use them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

chambless (2015-01-18)

Thanks
    Have a look at ScreenShoter 1.92. It's simple, portable and free.

Hope this helps...

(I prefer the more capable SCREENSHOT CAPTOR VERSION 4 and donated $15. YMMV.)

Hope this helps...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think there must be a million capture programs by now, but if you have Office you may already have one without realizing it. In fact I think a lot of programs now have some such capability built in, if only we could remember them when we want them.

In MS Word (2010), for example, you can go to the ‘Insert’ tab, click the ‘Screenshot’ icon on the ribbon, and you can create a screenshot then and there, to use that screenshot in Word itself or in other Office programs, such as PowerPoint. Since it is treated as a picture, you can click it in Word and ‘Picture Tools’ will appear on the ribbon, and you have Word’s own picture tools to edit it. It’s fun.
    Editing: I had the explanation of how that works scrambled, and will re-post when I can clarify it. It is powerful and well-integrated, and in Office 2013 you can also copy video and insert that into Office programs.

XnView is similar to IrfanView in scope, it is free, and it has fairly simple capture functions, along with refined graphics capabilities. I have no idea how resource-hungry these programs may be, but that is a favourite of mine, although I have never used it for screen shots.

Screenshot Captor does indeed look like a nifty tool, but I think FastStone Capture was the only software to advertise the ability to save the picture to PDF. (Obviously Word can do the same, and since it’s a picture and not OCR’d text, I don’t see it as a big deal.)

I was sufficiently intrigued by Screenshot Captor to give it a try – it looks like serious fun.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2015-01-14 at 23:32. Reason: Noted error in explanation

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

chambless (2015-01-18)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to Gizmo’s Hot Finds we have a new contender for top spot among open source screenshot software. It’s called Greenshot, which rhymes with screenshot. I told you there must be a million of them, and now I have this in my collection for comparisons.

Gizmo’s Hot Finds is a frequent newsletter to which you can subscribe, but he also has a compilation of his finds, Gizmos Freeware Reviews, that you can bookmark and check any time you are looking for free software. I should have thought of looking there myself before I posted.

As for screenshots from within Office, it worked well for me the first time I tried it, but it’s more complicated than I thought, and I am re-learning it myself.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

chambless (2015-01-18)

Thanks
    I struggled with Screen Capture for years, before I finally realized that Windows has had that feature for....like....forever.

It's the Screen Print key, (PrntScrn) on the top right of the keyboard.
    Get what you want on the screen, then press the key. The entire screen is transferred to the Windows Clip Board.

Then you can do a PASTE of your screen image into any graphics program you choose.... even Windows Paint. (Not my first choice, however.)

Personally I use a little French Program called "Photo Filtre" that does almost everything that Adobe Photo Shop can do.
    Crop, resize, add or remove contrast, add text to the picture, just about everything you'd ever want to do to something you just captured.
    Oh....did I mention, "Photo Filtre" is FREE. Can't find it? Maybe I can help.

Just a thought......

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor

http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/pf7-en.htm
    Last edited by DrWho; 2015-01-15 at 20:44.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

chambless (2015-01-18),Ray Harvey (2015-01-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for that tip Doc.
    trebor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    I struggled with Screen Capture for years, before I finally realized that Windows has had that feature for....like....forever.

Get what you want on the screen, then press the key. The entire screen is transferred to the Windows Clip Board.

Then you can do a PASTE of your screen image into any graphics program you choose...
    Exactly what I have done for yonks...but I usually paste into IrfanView because it is so much easier to adjust the screenshot to what I want.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Screenshots in Office are a curiosity as much as a practical matter. This is an Office feature, and should not be confused with Windows’ own Snipping Tool, which may be found in Accessories on the Windows 7 Start Menu, or by literally typing ‘Snipping tool’ in the search menu in Windows 8.1. They sure don’t make it easy to get to. ‘Insert a screenshot or screen clipping’ in Office ‘Help’ offers one description of the Office feature.

The Office Screenshots feature is available in Microsoft Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word. I don’t know how long it has been around, but it is similar to and associated with the longstanding ability to insert clipart or stock photos in Office applications such as Word, or similar things in (including sound clips) in PowerPoint, or business cards or contact photos in Outlook, etc.

From a user’s perspective you are already in Office and you are at an insertion point when you want to insert something. Say you are in Outlook and have followed a link, which means that you now have at least two programs running – Outlook and the browser you used to follow a link – and you want to copy the photo of the company’s plant in the browser into the contact information in Outlook, or into a different Office program, say Word. If you open Word you will have yet another program running, and you will have an insertion point in Word. Click the Insert tab on the ribbon, then the Screenshot icon on the ribbon. This will give you ‘Available windows’ which will typically include views of all the programs that are running (and/or the desktop).

When you pick a view it will be crazy hazy until you find exactly what you want to copy, select the conventional capture window with your cursor, and the haziness will disappear. I don’t think you can do it in 2010 but in 2013 you could, for example, copy a YouTube movie clip for use in a PowerPoint demo. You can insert movie clips in Word (2013), but obviously not for print output.

It’s interesting to know it’s there, and you can use the clipping tool exactly like any other clipping tool. It might, however, guzzle resources because you may have any number of major programs running at once, and the biggest problem from my perspective that while it’s convenient to send out for clippings and pizza when you’re in Office, I think most of us work from the other end, which is to say we run across things while browsing that we want to clip and save for future reference or use, and the third-party clipping tools we use are easy on resources.

That, as it happens, is where the open source Greenshot has an astonishing feature: it does what the Office version does, but in reverse. A Greenshot screenshot can, from within Greenshot, start an assortment of Office programs that covers more territory than the built-in capabilities of Office: it can start Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel and OneNote, and you can take it from there, with Greenshot screenshot in hand, to insert at the location of your choice.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

chambless (2015-01-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, it really does help. ScreenShoter is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post

If you hold the Alt key when pressing PRNT SCRN then it only captures the active window. This can sometimes save a bit of cropping later in many cases.
    Bob
    Win 8.1 Pro - IE11, Office Pro 2013, Acronis TIH 2014
    Win 10 Pro preview 10162

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Don, this little, free program, will do everything you would want.
    Give it a try, RGSmith

http://www.infonautics.ch/screencaptureprint/
    Computer Specs:
    Windows 7 Pro 64 -Bit
    1000W Silent Fan Power Supply
    Asus Z87-Pro MotherB
    4th Gen. Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Chip
    Crucial 32GB DDR3 Memory
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video
    3 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 64MB HHD's
    Super Multi Blu-ray Burner
    24X DL 8.5GB DVD Burner

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    (I prefer the more capable SCREENSHOT CAPTOR VERSION 4 and donated $15. YMMV.)
    I also prefer Screenshot Captor. It is small and memory-resident, so is always available. A simple press of the 'Print Screen' key will capture the entire screen and automatically save it to my screenshot folder (which you can set up in options), or pressing 'Shift - Print Screen' allows me to define the area I want captured. There are lots of other options if you want it to do more for you (which I rarely use). After looking at lots of screen capture programs, this one fit my needs perfectly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast