3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow web page loading while downloading large files after clean install

A week ago I did a clean install of Win 8.1 Pro x64 on a desktop i7-2660K machine. Since then, there's been a new problem, namely web page loading is very slow while downloading large files, a few hundred mb to a few gb. Pause the downloads and pages load normally. Before the install, the page file was set to system managed size. I've now tried 32gb max and still slowness. System drive is fast Plextor SSD and RAM is 16gb. Not sure where to turn on this. Posted on another forum and someone said they've been experiencing it for quite awhile with their website and blame it on Microsoft. But for all the stability problems I was having for that led to the clean install, this was never one of them. This is a relatively fast cable system (30+ mbps per Charter), with line to the computer through a Linksys E1200 router (for wireless laptop). I've run IP reset and Winsock reset, but no difference. Any ideas? Thanks,
    Last edited by highstream; 2015-01-13 at 19:05.

Thanks
    Did you try a different browser?

Jerry

Thanks
    Also, are you DSL, I know you're not dial-up, Time Warner cable, AT&T u-verse? Are your anti-viri/anti-malware/anti-spyware defenses working 'round the clock checking each and every action? If so, dial 'em back some.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Also, are you DSL, I know you're not dial-up, Time Warner cable, AT&T u-verse? Are your anti-viri/anti-malware/anti-spyware defenses working 'round the clock checking each and every action? If so, dial 'em back some.
    As I said, cable, Charter. The downloads are running through Internet Download Manager, so I've excluded its executable, as well my main browser, Opera 12.17, in Comodo and MBAM. That said...

I hadn't switched browsers, but was using the same one as before the clean install, with exactly the same configuration; i.e., I copied back all the key user files. At the moment, that is, with some downloads as tests, all four browsers I use are running normally with two downloads via IDM. Perhaps it's finally settled down after setting the page file to 32gb and a few reboots. Or maybe it was installing today's Windows updates, which was the last thing I did before running the test. Might one or more of those updates be aimed at just this problem?
    Last edited by highstream; 2015-01-13 at 21:11.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    Or maybe it was installing today's Windows updates, which was the last thing I did before running the test.
    IMO absolutely the updates are the issue. Seen that before more than once. Set updates to manual and experiment from there.

Thanks
    highstream, you're correct, you said cable - I missed it. Anyway, adding to Syclone's excellent advice [notify, you choose what to download & install; and you can choose what to hide]: after hiding the updates I don't want [such as Bing Toolbar, IE this/that/other], I do the updates in clumps, netFramework updates first [reboot & test your stuff]; critical security in clumps of 1,2 or 3 [reboot & test your stuff], after all security updates are working, then I do the nonSecurity updates in clumps of 1,2,3 [reboot & test your stuff]. Sounds like a very llllooonnnggg process! Well, yes it is. However, deleting update[s] & testing, deleting update[s] & testing, deleting update[s] & testing -- seems to be me a much longer process.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syclone View Post
    IMO absolutely the updates are the issue.
    In this case they were possibly the solution.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roland, I think you misread more than "cable." You wouldn't know that I've set Windows updates on notify for what seems well over a decade. However, my speculation about the impact of the latest updates was that they had addressed the problem I was having.

Now, back to the problem. It seems to vary with time of day, based on a sample of three this week. I can download two or three large files at once, 3-4 mbs coming down between them, and maneuver the web at or very close to quick speed in the morning or mid evening (MT), but in late afternoon page loading slows to a crawl. Since I'd never seen this before the clean install, and I'm talking several years here, it strikes me as something to figure out, or at least better understand.

I ran Sharper Probe with and w/o the router in the middle, including a run while downloading two large files using IDM, as follows:

Router connected, no downloads:

Connected to server 38.102.0.85.

Estimating capacity:
    Upstream: 4287 Kbps.
    Downstream: 90622 Kbps.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
    Median received rate: 4218 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 5590-6525 KB;
    Shaping rate: 31658 Kbps.
    --------------

Running two large downloads well into the evening, downloading at 1.5 mb/s and 2.5 mb/s. Slight delay loading new pages, nothing close to what led to this thread.

Connected to server 4.71.251.175.

Estimating capacity:
    Upstream: 2715 Kbps.
    Downstream: 10275 Kbps.

Median received rate: 2576 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
    Median received rate: 9744 Kbps.
    --------------

Doing two downloads (day time):

Connected to server 80.239.168.215.

Estimating capacity:
    Upstream: 2371 Kbps.
    Downstream: 9633 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Median received rate: 2240 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
    Median received rate: 9296 Kbps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Follow up: I called Charter and they did a "hard reset" of the modem and then we tested speeds using the Charter system with the direct connection (no router). Mine were above Charter specs, 64 mb/s down and 4.4 up. They use https://www.charter.com/speedtest/.

Afterward, I ran the same speedtest a few times with and without the router, and there is a clear difference absolutely and, most importantly, in consistency:

direct ethernet connection (in mb/s):
    down: 61.3, 66.2, 60.7
    up: 4.39, 4.39, 4.37

ethernet through router:
    down: 56.0, 18.62, 39.54
    up: 4.4, 4.37, 4.18

When I added a large file download, the speed test and everything else came to a halt (but presumably wouldn't at another time of day).

Win 7 laptop (i5):
    down: 51.3, 16.28, 45.06
    up: 4.46, 4.3, 4.37

Question: Do faster routers have any effect on the speed when wired through as I have it?

Thanks
    Ok, guys, I seriously misread this man's opening! Youse guys jump in and help the nice person out. I'm going to listen in this thread and learn.