Star Lounger
    Thanks

Migrated Win7 to SSD now can't delete system folders on old hard drive

I migrated Win7 Home (64bit) to a 256gb SSD. After some initial issues I finally succeeded.

I've reset the default folders like My Docs, Pics, etc so it's time to clean up the old hard drive.

I'm trying to delete the old system folders like 'Program Files', 'Program Files (x86), Windows, etc. When I try to delete, I get a message saying I can't delete the folders because I lack necessary permissions.

My account is an Administrator account. How do I delete these folders with their hundreds of GB of data that I no longer need?

Thanks
    Don't worry about deleting individual folders, just reformat the drive.

Thanks
    Doesn't the OP have his data on that drive? I assumed that from his comments. If he doesn't then yes, reformat, but what should he do if he does?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Add Take Ownership to Windows Explorer and then take ownership of the folders. You should then be able to delete them.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, all my docs, pics, music, etc are on the hard drive s formatting is a last option. I could move everything to an external drive and reformat - which might be best - but I want to avoid that for now because it's time consuming. I'll try the ownership route although I think I already took ownership, but I'll check again.

Thanks
    It doesn't matter if your account is a member of the Administrators group, if you're using Windows Explorer, you need to right-click and select Run as administrator. That will allow you to take ownership.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows