5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Emergency access to your PC's UEFI settings

LANGALIST PLUS

Emergency access to your PC's UEFI settings

By Fred Langa

If Windows won't boot, you still can access its UEFI/BIOS settings to start repairs if you know the trick. Plus: Overcoming Windows-homegroup networking hassles and the pros and cons of using third-party printer cartridges.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/emergency-access-to-your-pcs-uefi-settings/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Re Wondering about remanufactured ink cartridges:
    As for aftermarket cartridges for non-ink jet printers, I've had good success paying close, critical attention to user reviews, especially on sites like Amazon. With ink jets, it's interesting that Costco not only sells Canon and HP refills, but also has a refill service of their own. While one has to be careful with the number of refills and to start using them promptly, to me what Costco is being allowed to do suggests something about what these manufacturers really think.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Be careful using non-OEM toner cartridges

Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    Re Wondering about remanufactured ink cartridges:
    As for aftermarket cartridges for non-ink jet printers, I've had good success paying close, critical attention to user reviews, especially on sites like Amazon. With ink jets, it's interesting that Costco not only sells Canon and HP refills, but also has a refill service of their own. While one has to be careful with the number of refills and to start using them promptly, to me what Costco is being allowed to do suggests something about what these manufacturers really think.
    I work for a major printer/copier manufacturer. Toner is a highly engineered substance designed to work under very precise temperature and pressure conditions. These pressure and temperature conditions are carefully controlled within that OEM's laser printers and copiers. The actual makeup of that toner is a carefully guarded secret, making it VERY difficult for an after market toner company to reproduce the exact chemical makeup of the toner. A machine running after market toner may work for a while, but image quality will deteriorate over time. In addition, that non-OEM toner will also damage components within the machine, requiring expensive parts to be replaced. I don't know about other manufacturers, but using non-OEM toner in our machine will immediately invalidate our warranty. With no warranty the customer will be required to pay for all repairs and replacement parts (irregardless of any service contracts the customer may have). This repair can easily run into thousands of dollars. So whatever money you save on the after market toner, you lose that money many times over with repair costs. I would hate to be the employee that costs my company thousands of dollars because I am trying to save a few bucks on toner.

Thanks
    I don't know about other manufacturers, but using non-OEM toner in our machine will immediately invalidate our warranty.
    That doesn't ring true. However I would not like to be the employee who is percieved as the one who dug an early grave for a $40000 copier....
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clebrun View Post
    I don't know about other manufacturers, but using non-OEM toner in our machine will immediately invalidate our warranty.
    That's illegal (in the US or UK):

The warranty on a printer may not apply if the printer is damaged by the use of non-approved supplies. In the US the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act is a federal law which states that warrantors cannot require that only brand name parts and supplies be used with their products, as some printer manufacturers imply. However, this would not apply if non-approved items cause damage. In the UK, a printer manufacturer cannot lawfully impose such conditions as part of its warranty (Regina Vs Ford Motor Company refers) although many attempt to do so illegally.
    Third-party ink and cartridges