Star Lounger
    Thanks

document saving problems (Wd 2000)

Okay, we have a bunch of documents on the network, based on various templates also on the network. Suddenly, and with no changes having been made to the templates, some users are finding that they cannot save documents based on some of the templates. The templates were developed in wd97. Wd97 users (such as me!) have no problems. One or two wd2000 users also have no probs, but most do (fortunately only two or three regularly use these templates, the others - only occasional users - were found to have the problem only when we tested docs on their machines). To recap, we've all been using these docs & templates happily for ages, now over the last month people are reporting this prob. When you try to Save (or Save As...) nothing happens. No save, no Save As.. dialog box, no error message. This seems to apply to both newly created docs and old ones being edited. If it's relevant, note that the affected docs/templates have no more customisations/code/other fancy stuff than the unaffected ones (often less).
    Anybody got any ideas? Is it perhaps some IT-department network-permissions/access thing and nothing to do with Word at all??

Thanks

Re: document saving problems (Wd 2000)

Are there FileSave and FileSaveAs macros, or event procedures in the problem templates? If so, would help to post the code here. If not... quite mysterious.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No fileSave/SaveAs macros, no. There are AutoOpen & AutoClose ones (just adding & removing a menu item to call a help file), and Document_Open/New to force field shading to Always and view to Page. Also a couple of non-event macros (like a button for applying our standard format to tables, or adding an extra tab to TOCs), but nothing that should (or might be expected to) impinge on document saves. And, as I say, they WERE working fine, up till recently...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm guessing, but I always run through some troubleshooting steps when something strange happens. Have you tried renaming the normal.dot on those affected machines? Or starting Word from the command line (Start/Run) with
    winword.eze /a

I realize the documents are only with certain templates, but obviously something is affecting the FileSave & FileSaveAs commands.

Perhaps there are add-ins on their machines that aren't on others.