3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel.exe has generated errors (2000, SR-1)

I have a large (~ 8 MB) workbook that has somehow become unstable. It opens OK, but then seemingly innocent actions (inserting a new sheet, clearing cell contents) causes a program error so that Excel is closed. It generates an error log, but it's been so long since I worked at NASA that I can't figure anything from that.
    I'm in the process of copying and pasting to recreate the workbook (copying whole sheets also causes Excel to crash), but wondered if anybody had any clues as to which features might be responsible? Possible contenders:
    - Conditional Formatting,
    - Data Validation,
    - Formatting at the row level.
    The only other potential clue/oddity is that if the 'innocent actions' listed above don't cause it to crash straight away, they do cause it to show 'Calculate' at the bottom left, even though I have Calculation set to Automatic. And pressing Ctrl+Alt+F9 doesn't make it go away. Makes me wonder if the workbook has (or previously had) too many formulas?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel.exe has generated errors (2000, SR-1)

It could be anything, and usually there is no way to get rid of it without creating a new workbook.

Someone suggested a easy way to do this. Open the workbook and then do a SaveAs and change the file type to HTML and save to a new file name. Then open this file in Excel and SaveAs back to a .XLS file. That usually gets rid of the corruption, and keeps most of the formatting, macros, etc.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel.exe has generated errors (2000, SR-1)

Many thanks, Legare. I did the HTML switch, and so far so good. The only difference I've noticed is the loss of some formatting, but much better than copying and pasting from scratch.
    Thanks again.