New Lounger
    Thanks

Mouse/Keyboard Not Working Reliably When Plugged Into USB Port

I have an Athlon 64 X2 on an Asus M2N4-SLI mb running Win 7 SP1 64-bit (up-to-date) with 4GB RAM. Clean OS install as of 5 days ago. Wired USB mouse and USB keyboard, both Logitech with latest drivers installed.

Mouse and keyboard will not work reliably unless they're plugged into a powered USB 2.0 hub connected to one of the back-panel USB 2.0 ports.

If I connect the devices directly to the back panel (using the same port for one of them), the mouse is often unresponsive, sometimes moving, sometimes not, often only barely before freezing again. Keyboard is sometimes completely responsive, other times not at all even though the BIOS recognizes that a keyboard is attached at power-up (i.e no beep or msg stating missing k/b). Tried connecting them to the PS/2 ports via dongles and enabling PS/2 support in the BIOS, but this didn't work at all.

Device Manager reports the devices and the USB ports are working, even when the mouse doesn't respond. No other anomalies reported.

No USB 3.0 in the system. USB Controller, USB 2.0 Controller and Legacy USB Support options all currently enabled in the BIOS.

I ran this system under Win 7 32-bit for several years without this device problem, but after a house move, the system wouldn't boot at all. Recommendation by PC repair shop was to reinstall the OS, which is what I did and upgraded to 64-bit at the same time. System boots and works fine, except for this annoying characteristic. Repair shop reported no unusual mouse/keyboard symptoms during diagnosis but used native PS/2 mouse and keyboard.

I've tried other, known working wired k/b and mouse with same results, which tells me it's the mb.

I'd rather not have to use the hub. Any suggestions how I can ditch the hub and return the mouse and k/b to direct connections?

TIA

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djmast View Post
    ...I've tried other, known working wired k/b and mouse with same results, which tells me it's the mb...
    Might be fixed by upgrading the BIOS, see http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...4-SLI&p=1&s=24
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Might be fixed by upgrading the BIOS, see http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...4-SLI&p=1&s=24
    Thanks but Win 7 is not listed as a choice. Which OS do I select instead (XP? Vista??) and could it destabilize the system if it's wrong? I presume Win 7 isn't supported officially so I'd be concerned with changing what I know works. If it is a mb driver, why did it work in 32-bit?

Thanks
    You'll be going with the Vist64 bit BIOS and chipset driver updates. You'll want the latest chipset drivers too.
    Vista and W7 aren't too dissimilar in this regard.

Make certain you can roll them back with a copy of your current BIOS and chipset. (Check, download a keep a copy of your current).
    Also, make certain that your BIOS updates are done properly, and that means updating them by booting to a USB stick
    and then updating outside of Windows.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-01-15 at 14:03.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanks but Win 7 is not listed as a choice. Which OS do I select instead (XP? Vista??) and could it destabilize the system if it's wrong? I presume Win 7 isn't supported officially so I'd be concerned with changing what I know works. If it is a mb driver, why did it work in 32-bit?
    It shouldn't matter which OS you are running for a BIOS upgrade. OS and BIOS generally are independent of each other.

I would pick the OS closest to the one on the computer -- in your case, I would pick Vista.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    It shouldn't matter which OS you are running for a BIOS upgrade. OS and BIOS generally are independent of each other.

I would pick the OS closest to the one on the computer -- in your case, I would pick Vista.
    Thanks, and I agree that the BIOS can be independent of the OS, but if that's the case, why are there so many versions available and why isn't Win 7 listed as a choice? Surely there's a reason.

I'm not arguing and it's a rhetorical question but inquiring minds want to know.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    You'll be going with the Vist64 bit BIOS and chipset driver updates. You'll want the latest chipset drivers too.
    Vista and W7 aren't too dissimilar in this regard.

Make certain you can roll them back with a copy of your current BIOS and chipset. (Check, download a keep a copy of your current).
    Also, make certain that your BIOS updates are done properly, and that means updating them by booting to a USB stick
    and then updating outside of Windows.
    I will give this a try when I get the nerve to do it and I find the two updates you've mentioned and a way to flash them (not necessarily in that order). I think there's a utility in the BIOS for this (EZFLASH??).

Thanks
    I will give this a try when I get the nerve to do it and I find the two updates you've mentioned and a way to flash them (not necessarily in that order). I think there's a utility in the BIOS for this (EZFLASH??).
    Download the newest BIOS file and put it on a USB thumbdrive, or burn it to a CD. If thumbdrive connect it before you power-on. You should be able to use the EZFLASH utility.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    ...why are there so many versions available and why isn't Win 7 listed as a choice? Surely there's a reason.

I'm not arguing and it's a rhetorical question but inquiring minds want to know.
    Because when that motherboard was considered "current" Vista was the latest available version of Windows. As stated by others in this thread the BIOS code is independent of the installed operating system (even though the OS communicates with the computer's hardware through the BIOS).

As to the many BIOS versions, when a manufacturer such as ASUS release a new model motherboard to the market it has the BIOS version at the level of development at that time. As bugs/problems are found updated BIOS versions are made available on the motherboard's support pages for users to download and install.