New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8.1 SmartScreen suddenly very active

After the latest Win81 updates (1/13/14), I'm seeing a lot of SmartScreen activity outside of IE that I never saw before. For example, I'm getting prompts to run programs that I've used for a long time, and it won't let me edit .cmd files.

Is anyone else seeing this? I hate to turn SmartScreen off completely, but I don't see any SS control other than on/off.

Thanks
    See if the info on this site can help you sort through it:
    Lesson 6: Using the SmartScreen Filter to Screen Out Suspicious Websites and Applications

I have mine (SmartScreen) turned off, it's just too annoying to have on...for me.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Right, I've seen that info. There does not appear to be a way to say, "Seriously, this program is OK to run."

The thing is, this is new behavior that only started after the last patch Tuesday. I've never been prevented from editing .cmd files before. I've never had warnings about the programs that it's now warning about--they're not new programs, and they're not Internet downloads. I'd like to know what happened.

Thanks
    I have SmartScreen enabled, and I'm not seeing any unusual activity. I just tried editing a .cmd file, and nothing unusual; right-click and select "Edit", opens in Notepad. Click on "File > Save" and it saves and closes.

Perhaps a run of sfc /scannow is in order?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    It's certainly possible that a security update is responsible, finding out why will be a little harder.
    If you are also responsible, it's equally possible you can get by without SmartScreen quite easily.

It's also possible that MS will correct itself in the future, so periodically turning SmartScreen back on to check is also an option.
    As for the specific update, you'll need to look them over carefully to find any reference to SmartScreen handling in each update.
    Microsoft may, or equally plausible, may not provide any mention whatsoever about any SmartScreen tamperings.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-01-15 at 15:13.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This is a very long shot but, since some of SmartScreen depends on digital certificates, and because certificates depend on correct dates, is your system date still set to 2015?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I tried sfc, thanks. Nothing interesting was reported.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    This is a very long shot but, since some of SmartScreen depends on digital certificates, and because certificates depend on correct dates, is your system date still set to 2015?
    Yes, it's set to 2015.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    CLiNT, yes, I can survive without it. Not worth the effort to track down the patch changes.

It just bugs me when $@*% happens and I have no explanation.