Lounger
    Thanks

"Upgrade" Win 7 Ultimate N to Win 7 Professional?

Folks,

I have a problem with my Windows 7 Ultimate N 64-bit SP1, in that it doesn't include Media Player and I have some 3rd party software that *specifically* requires WMP to be present, or it won't install, and I need *this* software, there's no substitute package available.

I have tried several times to overcome the Media Player problem. Without going into mind-numbing detail, none of the fixes I've found have worked.

So, I'm now contemplating going to a non "N" version of Windows. I actually own an unused copy of Windows 7 Professional, and I'm wondering if I can use it to "upgrade" my system, or will I have to do a clean install? And if a clean install is the only way to get the right result, what is the quickest way to get back all my old settings (user accounts, internet settings, email settings, etc)?

My system details are:

System Model: Dell Inc. OptiPlex 755
    Processor: 3.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo; 64 kilobyte primary memory cache; 6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache; 64-bit ready
    Main Circuit Board: Dell Inc. 0PU052
    Drives: 0: Seagate 250.00 GB; 1: Iomega USB 160 GB; 2: Seagate USB 2TB
    Memory Modules: 4 Gigabytes as 4 x 1GB DIMM
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate N (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601) - fully up to date

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Maybe you can achieve what you need by installing the Media Feature Pack, which will add Windows Media Player to your current Windows installation.

It requires Windows 7 SP1, which you should have, anyway.

Be sure to backup before you do (create a system image).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This article doesn't mention anything about N to Pro so it looks like it's a clean install but others should be able to advise on how to get your old settings back if that's possible.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

I assume you have already tried and failed with this WMP install http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=16546

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Adding Media Player to Windows N is just a case of installing the package. What have you tried that doesn't work?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows