Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Best reasonably priced wireless router for home?

We have a (Cox) Cisco router in our house, and it is constantly dropping signal. So, maybe a new one?

What's the best router for a decent ($45 or so?) Price?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It depends upon whether you need a modem/router combo or just a wireless router, but Googling to see what Amazon have to offer would be a good place to start and then check the Customers reviews for any that take your fancy.

Thanks
    Yea, I just realized that what I have now is a modem/router combo, so...

Thanks,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using a lesser-known Wireless Router for a couple of years, no problems but I did have to update the firmware a couple of months after I got it to solve the dropping of the Wi-Fi. It's a Western Digital My Net N750 [right, from the HDD folks]. As I recall it was between $50 and $60.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-01-15 at 21:43.

Thanks
    Thanks Berton. I'll take a look.

Regards,
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks

(Amost) free router -- it's free, but on permanent loan

How about a FREE wireless router! Yes, really. Are there strings and conditions? Yes, but I think it is worth it. Here are the details:

I've had problems with my powerful Buffalo, running WRT, and having to reboot often, usually after a heavy load of a few hours. Sometimes I can just restart the WiFi, and not reboot. I have always had lousy cell service at home, and in the office. I called T-Mobile's service about lack of coverage, since I heard that they had a "WiFi fix" with hardware.

They sent me a new Asus TM-AC-1900 router!
    This is a stock Asus, but with additional changes to accommodate using it as a [WiFi] pseudo cell tower. I configured it in AD mode, from a wired connection to my existing router. Now, I have A and C 5-mz channels which my phones use, and a 2-mz N channel that my laptops use. DHCP is still handled by my existing router, which still works as a standby. I use that WiFi to configure the new router. I haven't tried replacing my router yet with full DHCP.

The caveats are:
    --- You must have active T-Mobile cell service
    --- Bad cell service from your registered home street (or business?), which they will verify.
    --- T-Mobile owns the router, so don't lose it, since presumably you might have to return it.

With recent Kit-Kat updates, your phone will seamlessly switch between cell tower and WiFi as needed, with no dropped calls. I've never gone over my data plan, but even if I did, they won't charge you, just slow you down. Unlike ATT, WiFi will NEVER be charged against your data plan. (Yes, they really did charge for using your own WiFi, claiming they couldn't tell which data service you were using. Class action suit anyone?? This one would be deserved, IMO.)

I don't have any ties to T-Mobile, but do love what they've been doing, especially since Legere's rein. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a bounty on his head from the other carriers. One of their policies I like, that I have yet to take advantage of, is that if an existing user refers someone else to sign up, both the new user and the existing user gets free unlimited data for a year. [Shameless request for someone to PM me so we can both get the free unlimited data.] I only hope his boss doesn't replace him, and reverse direction.

Here's why I'm concerned about that: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ble/2015-01-21
    "CEO John Legere pushed back against media interpretations of recent comments made by Timotheus Hoettges, CEO of T-Mobile parent Deutsche Telekom, which many outlets interpreted as Hoettges saying T-Mobile's torrid growth trajectory is unsustainable long term from a financial perspective."
    Last edited by DaaBoss; 2015-01-22 at 13:26. Reason: formatting

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DaaBoss For This Useful Post:

scaisson (2015-01-23)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanks for the idea on the router, but we could probably do without the opinions on company performance and associated links. (Just my 2c, not meant to discourage you from participating)

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Chuck:

You say that your router is constantly dropping signal. Does the drop occur everywhere in your house, or only in certain areas?

If the drop occurs only in certain areas of the house, you might consider getting a wifi range extender for the weaker signal areas.

I recently bought a Cisco Linksys Factory Refurbished RE1000 Wireless-N Range Extender on Amazon.com for $23.97, with free shipping. It was extremely easy to set up, and it works very well. It uses the same SSID as the router for the wifi extended area, so you don't have to deal with separate networks. It gives a very good, strong signal in a previously very weak area.

Jim

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Our WD MyNet 900 router worked great for a while but it apparently overheated because it's tiny cooling fan (yes, there's a fan in the bottom of the router case!) failed to spin. In hindsight, we shoulda had it resting on one of those laptop cooling pads with its own fan.We replaced the otherwise excellent MyNet 900 with a TP-Link TL WDR-3600 (about $49.99 as i recall). It has dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and, positioned near the doorway of our home office, it gives good wi-fi all around the house on the 2.4GHz band. We also added a 5GHz-capable USB wireless adapter to our laptop which has very mediocre wi-fi reception. That has proved very useful, too.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI:

TX Techie

Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul T - Your reply is courteous and probably appropriate. However, I found that the information mrjimphelps provided was informative, useful, and not necessarily opinionated, only facts as he/she experienced them. This kind of information helps me make decisions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebird2 View Post
    Paul T - Your reply is courteous and probably appropriate. However, I found that the information mrjimphelps provided was informative, useful, and not necessarily opinionated, only facts as he/she experienced them. This kind of information helps me make decisions.
    "he/she"? My wife and I both agree that it's "he".

Glad I could help.

Thanks
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

Chuck

Thanks
    The only place, Jim, that is totally "safe" is in the room where the router/modem is.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    The only place, Jim, that is totally "safe" is in the room where the router/modem is.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    You probably do have a problem with your router, if that's all the range you are getting.

A few years back, I purchased a Netgear N150. This is the low-end Netgear router, and it was around $35 at Wal Mart. It works very well. I get a lot wider coverage than you are getting.

I suggest that you get a new router and try it out. Most stores will let you bring it back if you aren't satisfied. Certainly Wal Mart and Office Depot will let you bring it back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast