Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Cheap printer/scanner/copier

Walmart.com has some wireless inkjet Canon all-in-ones (printer/scanner/copier) for sale for $34.99. They are available for pickup in some stores on the day of purchase if you specify that you want to pick it up in the store.

I have a similar Canon non-wireless all-in-one which I use for limited printing. I am very pleased with it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I assume it's this one - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-PIXM...ingMethod=p13n

It's worth reading the Disclaimer section lower down the page as well as the Customer reviews on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MG2920-W...ews/B00N6M3BNW

I don't think I'd be tempted even if I lived in the US.

Thanks
    Great, but how much for a set of ink cartridges?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-03-19)

Thanks
    I bought one of these printers yesterday. It's not a fancy printer/scanner/copier, but it is a good, basic unit. The print speed and print quality are good.

The setup was very easy, once I got to the screen which allowed me to temporarily connect the USB cable for the wireless setup.

If you don't do a huge amount of printing or scanning, it is a good unit.

If anything is wrong with it, I can always bring it back to my local Walmart to get my money back.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    ...If you don't do a huge amount of printing or scanning, it is a good unit...
    Exactly.

But for someone who prints 250+ pages per month a "cheap" inkjet printer is not cheap.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I don't print much, so for me it is an ideal printer. If I printed a lot, I would want a more substantial unit.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Looks like the ink refills can cost as much as the printer - and these appear to be generic, unless you can Google another supplier.

http://www.printerfillingstation.com.../Canon/53C.htm

You may want to reconsider your purchase.

Thanks
    For me, this printer is really simple and straightforward, and it does a great job scanning and printing. I do so little printing that the cost of ink isn't a factor.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    printers are the new razors

ink is the new blades

cheap printers will cost you more for supplies if you are not careful

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Walmart.com has some wireless inkjet Canon all-in-ones (printer/scanner/copier) for sale for $34.99. They are available for pickup in some stores on the day of purchase if you specify that you want to pick it up in the store.

I have a similar Canon non-wireless all-in-one which I use for limited printing. I am very pleased with it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is totally correct, always check first the costs. Remember if it a 'stinky' then the quality drops re low usage and print head cleans just waste ink.

Then they dry up on you so it is one for the bin. Ink jets do need to be used regular, that is to say a page or two a week min in all colours, not just a bit of text

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bw1 View Post
    This is totally correct, always check first the costs. Remember if it a 'stinky' then the quality drops re low usage and print head cleans just waste ink.

Then they dry up on you so it is one for the bin. Ink jets do need to be used regular, that is to say a page or two a week min in all colours, not just a bit of text
    Generally true but not in all cases. I can go more than a month without using my Canon Pixma 892 and I have had no issues even with using third party ink. I've had for a couple of years now and only use it occasionally since I use a laser as my main printer.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've gone a lot longer without using my Epson without any problems when I've come to use it.

I put this down to giving the cartridges a good shake before fitting them - but I may just be lucky.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think Jim has a very good handle on the printer he mentioned as he essentially knows the performance he expects due to his printing needs

However the average computer user has a difficult time understanding the cost of printer cartridges and even when it's possible to determine the theoretical costs of using their printer cartridges (never mind how much they print and type of documents they print) its overwhelming for them to put it in proper perspective

I have an Excel spreadsheet in which it calculates the theoretical cost per 100 sheets. Naturally it cannot account for the variable uses of someone's printing habits but its been helpful for me to explain to someone and a few times it did help a couple of my friends to purchase a printer with better printing expectations
    --- But I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't complain about the cost of printer cartridges regardless of make/model

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2015-03-20)

Thanks
    But I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't complain about the cost of printer cartridges regardless of make/model
    Meet me. My third party cartridges are less than $5 apiece and have been working well.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I print 3 pages every day plus variable others but use a Laserjet as they are black-only, about $0.045 per page. I also have an Officejet for wife's recipes, quilting, etc. Both are connected by Ethernet cable to my Router and any printer, wired or wireless, I install the software on can use them. I set up a new HP Officejet 8610 yesterday for a client, Ethernet to the Router and installed the software on a wired WinXP computer plus on a Win7 Netbook wireless.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-03-19 at 23:09.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast