New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8 w Backwards license for win 7

Susan Bradley has recommended purchasing new desktops with licenses for both Win 8 and Win 7. Apparently the ones she bought recently came with Win7 installed and Win8 on DVD's.

I've not been able to find this option available at the three retail outlets I generally use which have both internet and bricks/mortar presence near me. I'm hoping to find an i7 processor, 1 TB internal hard drive and at least 8 GB RAM.

Assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Why bother with those options when Windows10 is so close to being released.
    What's the date on that Susan Bradley article?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Why bother

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Why bother with those options when Windows10 is so close to being released.
    What's the date on that Susan Bradley article?
    I believe the her article was in the Windows Secrets issue before the current. I don't save them

The reasons for wanting both OS's with a new computer are:
    1. Legacy (ie old) software may not run under Win8 - Win7 keeps the XP based computers useful off-line.
    2. Avoiding interface problems with networked computers still running WinXP
    3. Avoiding the personal time commitment that a new OS will require when there simply are no issues with current WIN7 installations on my other computers
    4. Migration from WinXP to Win7 is likely much easier than WinXP to Win8
    5. Avoiding the expense of buying Win8 if and when the time comes to use it on the new hardware
    6. Impossibility of purchasing a single Win7 OS to install if a machine only comes with Win8.

I can easily buy a computer with Win7 alone installed but the reality of Microsoft's announcement of Win7's demise makes that unwise.

Thanks
    My understanding is that if a Windows 8 OEM machine is licensed for downgrade to Windows 7 with Windows 7 installed, that license is a Windows 8 license as well. Only one OS can be used at any one time.

In other words, if one buys a new OEM PC that is Windows 8 ready but downgraded to a Windows 7 installation, then Windows 8 will install on that machine using the existing Product Key/license for validating and activating Windows 8.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    RE post #4:

This is the wording of the Windows 7 Ultimate OEM license.

"15. DOWNGRADE. Instead of using the software, you may use one of the following earlier versions:
    • Windows Vista Ultimate,
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional,
    • Microsoft Windows Professional x64 Edition, or
    • Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.
    This agreement applies to your use of the earlier versions. If the earlier version includes different components, any terms for those components in the agreement that comes with the earlier version apply to your use of them. Neither the manufacturer or installer, nor Microsoft is obligated to supply earlier versions to you. You must obtain the earlier version separately. At any time, you may replace an earlier version with this version of the software."

I've read similar language regarding Windows 8 OEM license on a Microsoft site.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    You're not very likely to find machines with those downgrade options at many retail stores. They're usually offered in the Business section of the online sites of the big makers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Picker22 (2015-01-17)

Thanks
    I can easily buy a computer with Win7 alone installed but the reality of Microsoft's announcement of Win7's demise makes that unwise.
    Not in the least. You'll have at least until 2020 with W7.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    You're not very likely to find machines with those downgrade options at many retail stores. They're usually offered in the Business section of the online sites of the big makers.
    I'm not so sure. There some caveats. While one is unlikely to find any retail advertising in this regard, it's all in the license. If the machine is sold as Windows 8 ready but Windows 7 installed, then Windows 7 has probably been installed using the downgrade clause in the license.

Here's a quote from the Susan Bradley column "Win7 reaches milestone; prepare for its demise":

"Preparing for the eventual migration from Win7

Recently, I ordered several new computers for my office. They were all purchased with a downgrade-rights license, which lets me install a previous version of Windows. So even though they were effectively purchased with Windows 8, they’ll all be running Windows 7. At that point, it struck me that not a single desktop in my office is running Windows 8.1 — potentially a problem in planning a future migration from Windows 7."

Here is an excerpt from an Ed Bott column on ZDNet:

"Exercise your downgrade rights (free)

If you purchase a new PC with a business version of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 already installed by the manufacturer, the license agreement gives you the right to downgrade to Windows 7 Professional. So if your PC originally came with Windows 8 (or 8.1) Pro, you can replace the installed operating system with Windows 7 Professional at no cost.

Note that downgrade rights are not included on systems that ship with the core version of Windows 8 or 8.1. Likewise, OEM System Builder copies of Windows 8.x and later do not include downgrade rights.

To exercise downgrade rights, you can use media for Windows 7 Professional that you acquire from any source. During installation, don't enter a product key. After completing installation, you'll need to activate your newly installed copy of Windows 7 by using the telephone activation option and explaining that you are using downgrade rights."

My Windows 8.1 is retail upgrade purchased through Microsoft, so I don't have a copy of the OEM Windows 8/8.1 license. If someone has an OEM PC purchased with Windows 8/8.1, the license will most likely be found in Windows\System32\License or Windows\System32\en-US\License. I'd be interested in seeing the wording in the Downgrade clause.

Unleash Windows

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Picker22 (2015-01-16)

Thanks
    Retail site, Enterprise section, first machine I picked out: http://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/prod...09105-00000001 "OS Provided Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Edition / Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Edition downgrade"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Picker22 (2015-01-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Retail site, Enterprise section, first machine I picked out: http://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/prod...09105-00000001 "OS Provided Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Edition / Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Edition downgrade"
    While the discussion of the merits & details surrounding this decision is interesting, I'm really looking for a US retailer who will sell one. I checked Staples, Wal-Mart, Best Buy and found none.

Thanks
    You can order one from Dell, like this XPS 8700.

"Operating System

Windows 7 Professional English 64bit (includes Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit License and Media)"

Unleash Windows

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Picker22 (2015-01-17)