Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

I Needed to Shut Down my ThinkPad while it was Installing the January 13 Windows Updates

I needed to shut down my ThinkPad while it was installing the January 13 Windows 7 Updates. There were 6 important updates in the Windows Update "install updates" box. When I rebooted my laptop there were only 4. Updates KB3020393 and KB3025421 were gone. I got Lenovo Tech Support to fix any problems I may have caused to Windows Update. The 4 remaining updates installed without any problems. Running windows update did not recover the 2 files. We tracked down the 2 updates and tried to install them from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=45401 but every time I try to download the updates and run them I get the following error: "The update is not applicable to your computer."

The security bulletins clearly state that they apply to Windows 7. (I am not certain but KB3025421 may need the "workaround".)

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you.

ADDENDUM

I have discovered another wrinkle with 1 of the 2 updates. KB3025421 gives you two Windows 7 x64-based systems update options:

(1) Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 1

(2) Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 1 (with Remote Desktop Client 8.0 installed)

Which one do I choose? Windows 7 does come with Remote Desktop Connection, version 6.3.9600, but I don't use it (as far as I know, although I connect remotely with teck support of other companies, I don't believe I am using Remote Desktop Connection).

In my view, version 1 is the correct update for my laptop but, like I said, it generates the "not applicable to your computer" error.

What to do?
    Last edited by Perri 7; 2015-01-16 at 20:26.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    "The update is not applicable to your computer."
    The security bulletins clearly state that they apply to Windows 7.
    But there's more than one version of Windows 7, e.g. Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, with or without Service Pack 1, etc. Also involved is whether 32-bit or 64-bit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Perri 7 (2015-01-16)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your reply Berton. The bulletins specify that windows 7 with Service Pack 1 is required. As well, to which version of Windows 7 the update applies. At times, they just say Windows 7. Nonetheless, your astute observation requires that I take a second look at this issue. Regards.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Berton, I checked the affected software and the 2 updates apply to "Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 1." That do not specify which version of Windows 7 so one must assume they apply to all versions (there is a version for 32 bit systems with Service Pack 1). I have Windows 7 for x64-based Systems with Service Pack 1. And so, they apply to my system. Thank you for your suggestion. Regards.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

Thanks
    It is infrequent, but not at all unusual, for a particular update to be presented by Windows Update, yet after the update process to be flagged as not applicable to your computer. There may be a particular set of variables that the update installer checks for (at a more in-depth level) during that installation process, and not finding one or more of those variables makes the update not applicable to your computer.

I've seen this myself more than once. I have the same version of Windows 8.1 on my desktop and my laptop. On occasion I have seen "not applicable" on the desktop but not the laptop, and vice versa.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you bbearen for your observations. Regrettably, my interruption of the installation process removed the 2 updates from Windows Update. The "not applicable to your computer" error came up when I tried to manually instal the updates.

I have discovered another wrinkle with 1 of the 2 updates. KB3025421 gives you two Windows 7 x64-based systems update options:

(1) Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 1

(2) Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 1 (with Remote Desktop Client 8.0 installed)

Which one do I choose? Windows 7 does come with Remote Desktop Connection, version 6.3.9600, but I don't use it (as far as I know, although I connect remotely with teck support of other companies, I don't believe I am using Remote Desktop Connection).

In my view, version 1 is the correct update for my laptop but, like I said, it generates the "not applicable to your computer" error.

What to do?

Thanks
    If one comes up as not applicable, try the other. It won't install, either, if it isn't applicable.

I just updated the Windows 7 side of my dual boot on my laptop, and the last time I had updated it was early July. There were 82 total updates listed, one was for USB keyboard, which I didn't want (I never use a different keyboard on my laptop), so 81 were downloaded. After Windows Update finished, only 80 were installed, and one was listed as not needed.

What I'm getting at is that even though it is offered and even downloaded, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is applicable to your particular installation of Windows.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    But there's more than one version of Windows 7, e.g. Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, with or without Service Pack 1, etc. Also involved is whether 32-bit or 64-bit.
    Win7 SP1 64bit and Win7 SP1 32bit are versions of Windows. Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate are editions of Windows.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Win7 SP1 64bit and Win7 SP1 32bit are versions of Windows. Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate are editions of Windows.
    According to Windows, "version" is, for example,

"Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
    Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved."

Windows XP is version 5.1, Windows 7 is version 6.1, Windows 8 is version 6.3.

"Edition" is, for example,

"Windows 7 Ultimate
    Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved
    Service Pack 1"

Windows 7 editions include Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate.

32-bit/64-bit refer to the architecture of the software, described by Windows as "System type", for example,

"System type: 64-bit Operating System"

The architecture of the software must match the architecture of the hardware to the extent that 32-bit architecture software will install on 32-bit or 64-bit architecture hardware, but 64-bit architecture software will only install on 64-bit architecture hardware.

Version information is available by clicking Start, type (without the quotes) "winver" in the search box, and press Enter. Edition information is available by going to Control Panel > System, or right-click the Computer icon and select Properties.

Unleash Windows

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Perri 7 (2015-01-18)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks bbearren. I have Windows Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1), Windows 7 Professional edition, 64-bit Operating System and a broken Windows Update. I have tried all the commands designed to fix system files, all the Mr. Fix it and even Tweaking.Com's all in one software. When I check with Mr. Fix it, I am told that repairs failed. Is there a tool for completely reinstalling Windows Update? (Windows 7 was pre-installed on my ThinkPad and I have no discs. I can reinstall the operating system from a copy of Windows that is in separate partition.)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I can reinstall the operating system from a copy of Windows that is in separate partition
    Actually that should put the computer back to its Factory As-shipped condition and should include all the programs the vendor included. If it's old enough you'll also need to install Service Pack 1 and any updates, will take awhile.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Perri 7 (2015-01-18)

Thanks

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Also, for future reference, you can download an official Windows 7 Professional with integrated SP1 English 64-bit ISO from this link:

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24281.iso

Once downloaded, you can burn this ISO to DVD, or use Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to create a bootable USB thumb drive for installation of Windows. The USB thumb drive works much faster than DVD, and you'll need a thumb drive of at least 4GB capacity. The tool will reject a thumb drive that is too small.

Should you be unable to repair Windows Update, you can use the DVD or thumb drive to do an in-place upgrade of your installation, which will preserve your programs and most settings.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-01-17 at 17:38.

Unleash Windows

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Perri 7 (2015-01-18)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe I have bbearren. I will give it another go and report back. Regards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast