Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Update blocking registry hive.

System WIN7Pro/64.
    I downloaded Tuesday updates today, followed Susan's advice, and found this in my Admin Events: ID1542 "Windows cannot load classes registry file.
    DETAIL - Unspecified error."

Here's the XML:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service" Guid="{89B1E9F0-5AFF-44A6-9B44-0A07A7CE5845}" />
    <EventID>1542</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-01-15T22:26:15.138836300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>465944</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="996" ThreadID="1352" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>MN-PC</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data Name="Error">Unspecified error</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

So I uninstalled ALL the updates and installed them back one by one, restarting and checking the Admin log after each. And it turned out that Security Update (KB3021674) was throwing off the error. Uninstalled it and no error. Reinstalled it and error returned. Status at the moment, uninstalled. I can't find any report of problems Googling the number. Any idea what's going on. Thanks.

Thanks
    Have you looked into this?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    An odd other problem with 3021674:

After installing updates and cleaning up (CCleaner) I usually do a system backup using win's tools. This month it would not start the backup telling me that "There is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on the storage location" The backup disk had 1.47 TB free per file history screen. After a lot of messing around I came to Win Secrets to see if anyone else had the same problem.

After reading the OP's post, I uninstalled 3021674 and "WOW" system back up worked again (no problem). This is a dual boot to Win7Pro and Win8.1Pro and the problem described occured in both OS's. Now I wonder if I should reinstall 3021674?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same problem...and uninstalling KB3021674 stops the error (and there were other goofy things like not remembering my tray icon settings). I suspect there is something amiss in my user profile that the update didn't account for and it is causing the problem.

Thanks
    I have KB3021674 installed on my 7 Ultimate dual boot and on my 7 Pro PC, but no untoward problems with either, and nothing in the event logs. I do have System Restore turned off on both machines, whether or not that is relevant, I have no idea.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    So on the 20th I reinstalled 3021674. Didn't notice any problems until I installed an app a few days later. After the install process, my daily user desktop icons were rearranged. After reading Susan's article in today's newsletter, I decide to try another system image. When I logged in my admin account, all the icons were in nice neat rows and columns on the left side of the desktop instead of the task arrangement I left them in. I ran the system image backup without the problem mentioned above. Because of this strange icon behavior I decided to uninstall 3021674 again. No telling what other strange behavior it was causing "behind the curtain".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pima67 For This Useful Post:

mnorman (2015-02-13)

Thanks
    I have KB3021674 on 3 computers here, 2-Win 7 Pro 64 bit and 1- Win 7 Pro 32 bit, with no problems whatsoever so far.
    As Susan said, it only affects a small number of computers for some reason and to uninstall it if yours is one of those computers until MS can figure it out.
    On another note, won't it be fun when Win 10 installs all updates automatically.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

mnorman (2015-02-13)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: Talked to the MS engineer in charge of the team that wrote KB3021674. He asked me to check to see if there was a Read-Only attribute at C:\Users\%userprofile\ntuser.dat and C:\Users\%userprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Wind ows\usrclass.dat and the same two files in the users\default folder. No read-only attribute. (If found, and you're having trouble with the KB, remove the read-only attrib as a trouble-shooting step.) Then he wrote the following:

"Also, are the admin events the only effect you are seeing? There are no other issues logging in to the machine? If so, I would recommend you keep KB3021674 installed, since it is a security issue, and until we resolve this, ignore those events."

In addition to the admin errors, I too have had some small problem with getting system tray icons to stick. Whenever I uninstall the KB and reinstall it, I have to go into the system tray/ taskbar properties and reset my settings and I have to yet again turn on the screen saver. So I'm leaving it installed. I also got a MS tech to take over my machine and run a basic check -- user profile etc. -- and he found nothing wrong. Guess we'll see what develops. PS: Got some assist help from WinSec and really appreciate it.
    Last edited by mnorman; 2015-02-13 at 13:32. Reason: spelling

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did re-uninstall the update after a few icon disappeared from the desktop. After that I also had the MSE icon in the notification area disappear. I don't know if its related to the this update. Probably will never know since it happens to so few people so MS will assign a low priority to it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I too finally uninstalled. The KB says "An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit the vulnerability." That of course still leaves the user vulnerable, but, unless Susan informs us otherwise, this seems to narrow the possibility of an attack if you are a sole user of the machine. I uninstalled because the systray icons were going wacky and because I noticed a general slowdown, perhaps the result of update's tweaks of the userprofile. Anyway, I'm way beyond my pay-grade and am just guessing, but clearly the update was affecting my machine.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan: you mention KB3021674 in the latest patch watch and you note the problems and what might be causing them. You tell us we can test NTUSER.DAT and USERCLASS.Dat by creating a new profile. How do you tell if the new user account "has full control over them." Can you please elaborate. What should we be looking for? Thank you.