New Lounger
    Thanks

System resources used up when starting Word (Office 2000 on Windows 98)

I've been using Word on my system for over 2 years. As of a month ago, any time I open Word, my system locks up and I get a message that "All available resources have been used up" System resources are 80% free prior to starting Word. I've done everything to free up system resources, have un- & re- loaded Office 2000 to no avail. Any ideas???

Thanks

Re: System resources used up when starting Word (Office 2000 on Windows 98

It is possible that your Normal.dot template has become corrupted, or that you are loading a whole lot of add-ins. Start by renaming Normal.dot to abNormal.dot; when you start Word, it should create a new Normal.dot.

Assuming Word starts, look in Tools, Templates and add-ins to see whether you need all of the global templates and add-ins. (If there is one you want to remove but the Remove button is grayed out, it is in the Word startup folder and needs to be removed from there using Windows explorer.)

If Word doesn't start with a fresh Normal.dot, start Word using the /a switch -

C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficewinword.exe /a

- to prevent add-ins from loading at all. Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System resources used up when starting Word (Office 2000 on Windows 98

I like that. We always rename our normal.dot's "normal.old". So boring. I'm going to have to share the abNormal.dot. Thanks for the grin for the day.

Lee Morgan