New Lounger
    Thanks

Relation of Table of Contents, Headers/Footers, Index in Word 10

Hi All. I have a problem that is driving me nuts. I have a ms. I have formatted to be an ebook. I have used the word produced table of contents, index, section breaks, pagination. It is about 350 pages with front matter, body, pics and back matter. All was going well until my client wanted to move front matter to back matter, pics from end of each section to in-text and text from one sect. to another. Now headers and footers with pg. nos are no longer correct. The more I try to fix them the worse it gets. Decided I had too many breaks and took them all out. Now I only have breaks, no sections breaks.

So, my question is, is there a way to start over with pg. nos. and then do a new table of contents, etc.?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    If your Table of Contents was created using a TOC field, it really doesn't matter where you move it to - just select it and press F9 to update.

Headers & footers are tied to the Sections in which they occur and, unless you're using the 'Same as Previous' setting for them, deleting a Section break will result in the merged Sections having only the latter Sections' header & footer. If you delete all Section breaks, page numbering, including for your Index, should pretty-much take care of itself. All you may need after deleting the Section breaks & relocating the TOC is Ctrl-A, F9.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for response to my T of C question.
    Next question is hard to formulate so here's the project I'm working on in Word 10 on WIN 7. A 350 pg ms. with 100 600 dpi photos within the text. I have front matter, body and back matter including an index. The book is finished, formatted and client is ready to go to the printer. I'm tearing my hair out over the headers & footers. They were correct for awhile. I've inserted blanks so I can view 2 up and place pics according to l. or r. pages. I have just gone thru the ms. and removed the section breaks for next left and changed to section break next. (My client needs to understand the l. and r. as well.)
    Can anyone help me get to correct h's and f's.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    . . . more on my project.
    Word seems to have lost the distinction between left and right pages. How can it get it back?

I'm thinking I need to remove all the blank pages and put the section next left breaks back in. Right?
    Last edited by "jcadle"; 2015-01-23 at 12:20.

Thanks
    This has to do with the settings in your document for different odd and even for headers and footers.
    http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...ooter_settings

Front Matter in Ribbon Versions of Word

BTW, the way forums like this are organized, you will get the best answers to questions by posting a new question when you have a new question rather than tacking it on to the one that you posted before. If the new question is related, you can add a link to the old one. That way you will have the most people who might provide an answer see your new question.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2015-01-26 at 12:12.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by "jcadle" View Post
    Word seems to have lost the distinction between left and right pages. How can it get it back?
    With the insertion point in the Section you want to modify, go to Page Layout|Page Setup>Layout and check the 'Different Odd and Even' option.

Do note that, when you delete Section breaks in Word, the page layout, including header & footer content, from the Section preceding the Section break gets replaced by the page layout, including header & footer content, from the Section following the Section break. To preserve the page layout, including header & footer content, from the Section preceding the Section, see the macro I posted at: https://social.technet.microsoft.com...ion?forum=word. Note that the macro also allows you to merge multiple Sections in one go.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]